Should Adaptable issues separated rather than in one big post?

Should Adaptable issues separated rather than in one big post?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 34
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear everybody that is involved in this post - https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=326234 - and its four hundred and fifty five replies,

It is my opinion that the post and its replies has got out of hand.  It is becoming like a virus with no specific focus bar a single theme.  For anybody reading this it would take them ages and be difficult to find a defined flow.

Therefore I propose that the post be closed and any issues with the Adaptable theme be raised in more specific posts that are self-contained as they are with other themes.

Gareth

Moderator.

Note: I have split this discussion from: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=326234 as indeed it is a separate concept and to demonstrate that indeed https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=326234 should be closed and individual issues dealt with in separate posts.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Adaptable Theme Support

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Gareth,

sorry but I can't agree with that. For me, who answer most of the questions, is easier to manage a single thread that many threads with vague titles like "Disable Icon" I found today.

I need to spend part of my time dedicated to client's support to this thread (for free) and the best way is when I see an email with "Adaptable Theme Support" as a title. If not, probably will be lost in the deep forum because I only pay attention to this thread. I just take a look to the rest from time to time.

I will appreciate if you can keep the thread open. If not, we can open a second part and close this for new posts. But only one thread title.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Fernando,

To be honest there is guidance that demonstrates where this thread is breaking that guidance: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle.org_forums_help#Topic_creep_-_recognize_when_you_are_asking_a_new_question.  Surely you can see that a page load with 457 (now 458) posts is a bit of a mess!

I cope with Essential and my other themes in separate posts.  It keeps things contained and encapsulated down to a single context.  If the subject line is vague, then that is in the realm of 'Choose an informative subject line' of the forum rules: https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=7080 - and up to posters to obey and moderators to enforce.

Kind regards,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am in two minds about this - I can see both points of view very well.

I personally find it very difficult to work with this single enormous thread when there are issues raised which may not be only related to Adaptable, even if that is the theme being used at the time, while I also see Fernando's point that as most of the support he provides on the forum is for this specific theme, it is easier to identify those posts when they are in a single titled thread.

Maybe the solution would be that where we already ask people to provide the theme in the body of the post, that the theme name should be requested as part of the title (when it is relevant to the topic). But that users are recommended to ask their questions in a separate thread as suggested in the forum guidelines. Although I recognise that adds to Fernando's workflow, it is the way the forums generally work and makes it easier for general forum users to search for issues and identify whether their particular issue has already been addressed.

I seem to recall we had similar issues with Essential (may have been as far back as when Julian was still doing it, Gareth) but the thread got so big that users naturally started posting separate queries simply because the thread became too cumbersome for general users. I don't really recall whether any such message was posted in the forum to remind people that was the way things were supposed to be done, or whether it happened naturally.

(@Gareth, apologies for not replying to your previous PM, only just left the OER16 conference in Edinburgh and now sat in the airport waiting to go home smile )

Richard
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As a general point of forum operation, I think it would be highly beneficial for developers and users if plugins were just granted their own forum upon request.  Wouldn't that solve the issue?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Emma,

No.

I see it that your suggested solution would only lead to a management and moderation nightmare.  Plugins already have access to the CONTRIB area of the Moodle Tracker as well as establishing their own support on GitHub / BitBucket etc.  Pragmatically, that is where issues should be managed anyway.  The forums are here for questions and pre-issue discussion when the exact nature of a concept is not fully defined.

I see it that it would be far better for people to post individual questions, have the community answer and if so, recommend raising an issue on the appropriate issue tracker.  Then the plugin developer can then manage and see the issues raised upon the work.  This would also solve Fernando's 'need to know this is an Adaptable' issue problem.  Thus I suggest that people raise issues here: https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/issues?status=new&status=open rather than cluttering up this thread even more.  Or if they are uncertain, make a post with a subject like 'formatting issue in Adaptable'.  At the moment I don't see the problem with this.  I manage Essential, Shoehorn, Shoelace and Campus on this forum without needing to resort to a single post.  For example, look at the forum posts, how many that have an issue with a specific theme don't mention the theme in the title?  I know its not 0% but it is certainly not 100%, and with the former the community asks questions about what theme anyway.

Gareth

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am not sure how separating out plugins' forums would cause that.  

Of course, I am not a moderator, though would be willing if more are needed.  

Right now, it is like we are dumping all of our documents from multiple clients in the docs folder, instead of having nice categorized set of folders and nested folders.  Fernando or other developers could then follow their folder and their posts would be split out by subject.  So much better for everyone.

by Richard Oelmann -

Yes, Fernando would, Gareth would, I would, Mary would - what about all the other themes who have developers who are no longer active on the forums, but they are still in use and require support? Who is going to moderate and manage those if they are not in a single forum. Or who would dip in and out of the Essential forum if Gareth was on holiday, or ill, or the Adaptable one if Fernando took on another project (eg BCU is now without effective support beyond 'upgrade to Adaptable')

What about all the queries that don't relate to a specific theme - or that are identified as a theme issue, but so often are not, or are 'I'd like to, but how', or 'what theme should I use for cloning/developing', 'what's happening in themes with regard to BS2/3/4/less/sass/javascript/yui/jquery/.../.../...', 'I'm trying to develop a theme, how do I...?' These would all still require moderating, managing, etc.

If people would properly follow the instructions and raise their individual issue, identifying their theme, moodle version, and relevant info in the post, then it is not difficult to manage, or organise, or search the way it is organised now (in my opinion), but when I try to follow the unread posts after a day or so away and I am faced with several different 'sub-thread conversations' within a single forum discussion thread - that is confusing!

Those discussion titles become your folders and nested folders and organisation, they don't (in my mind) need, or benefit from entirely separate forums.

What I would suggest is asking people - where it is relevant - to add the theme name to the discussion thread they start, but my personal preference would be to remain with the process of a new discussion for a new query. I think it makes the forum much much easier to browse as a user (and I do hope my first thought is as a forum user rather than as a developer/moderator and the way most people come to use the forums)

Browsing the forum for issues is becoming harder when the only title we have is something like 'ThemeName - General' or 'ThemeName - CSS' (Browsing, not searching! - its how I learned most of what I did in my first few years with Moodle, not searching for specific answers to specific issues, but browsing and reading)

We have many users who do have issues with a single, known theme, and some themes with active developers, like Gareth and Fernando to support those themes. But we have huge numbers of a. users with more general questions and b. theme authors trying to learn more about themes in general.
We also benefit hugely from Fernando's Gareth's, Chris', Mary's expertise in the general queries that could be lost if those developers/community experts were focussing solely on their own forum because that's where their theme queries are - Fernando may say he focusses on the single Adaptable discussion thread, but I think most people are well aware that he provides very welcome comments and support in other discussions as well!

I am also struggling to see where this would fit with all the other forums - Quiz for example does not have a separate forum for each quiz type, neither does Repositories, Blocks, Course Formats, etc. Although several activity/resource types do have individual forums this tends to be where they are not practically grouped with any other similar activity (what else would you group Poodll with? or Game?
I think if that was the road being taken, then that is a re-organisation of the entire forum/community structure of Moodle forums and not just a themes issue and one I don't personally see as being manageable within the community as things are at present.

Please don't take these comments as being negative - but as positive support for the way things are supposed to work currently, for encouraging our users to properly identify their issue in a well named discussion thread, for making things easily browsable as well as searchable, not simply because 'Its the way we've always done it' but because I do believe that, when its done properly, IMHO, that is the best way to do it., not for an individual developer, but for the community as a whole and its entire wide range of users smile

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It would certainly make it more ordered, like Gareth said we already have Moodle tracker for contributed themes that hardly any one uses, basically because they don't know how to or cannot be bothered. In which case perhaps that section of Moodle tracker should be scrapped, and Theme forum enlarged with some sub-forums?

As for helping as a Moderator Emma the best is to talk to Helen as we really need others from around the globe to cover different time zones. I would be very happy for you to join us as a Mod. smile

Thanks for offering.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Emma Richardson -

Yep, she signed me up pretty quickly....into the breach..

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Emma,

Strange you should think that too as this was an option I had also thought of, and considered it quite a good idea as the comment section on the Plugins directory is pretty useless as a forum.

Cheers

Mary

by Fernando Acedo -
Emma, I think that would be the best solution.

The problem, from my point of view is how and who manage the questions, bugs, requests, ... Actually I get moodle direct messages, messages using our website, requests from the plugin directory and forum posts.

This is really crazy and difficult to manage, especially when you need to provide more support to your clients.

A good solution would be a subforum inside the activities categories. Moodle could be the first point of contact from users and then redirect the user to contact the developer, open an issue in the plugin tracker or in the moodle tracker (sometimes are moodle issues).

Many users don't know if they found a bug, have issues with the theme, with moodle or simple they don't know what happens.

Redirect the user directly to the developer will take the developers to decide if they want or not to publish the plugin in moodle due the workload that implies to process all the requests. Why to publish in the moodle directory if I can get less problems if I don't publish it? (about 50% of the requests have no relationship with the plugin. See a sample from today here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=331801)

Using moodle forum as a redirector could be (and it is) a good idea. If it is a plugin bug or issue, redirect to the developer. If not, moderators and other users can solve the question or manage the situation.

Manage the issues from moodle is more difficult. As Gareth said, the repositories trackers and even moodle tracker can manage much better the issues and bugs.

Themes is the only grouped plugin where is probably the most used. Other plugins are part of moodle and have their own forum or are not so relevant than themes.

A sub-forum (if possible) would be the best. And a sticky post in the top (do we have this option?) with instructions (yes, I know nobody read it) and links to post bugs in the plugin repo tracker would be great (moodle tracker would add more complexity to the process and additional steps).

Oops, and force the user to post the moodle and theme version will help a lot (yes, I know again nobody do it but this is simple to fix. Just delay the answer asking the versions)

by Richard Oelmann -

Fernando, you have just made the argument AGAINST having individual (sub)forums for each theme as an individual plugin

'Many users don't know if they found a bug, have issues with the theme, with moodle or simple they don't know what happens.'

This means that posts end up in the wrong place when users are constrained (or encouraged) to a limited number of pre-titled discussion threads, rather than being encouraged to phrase their own problem and title appropriately. They then get lost in a huge discussion thread that really does not have relevance to the post, hiding the solution from other users in amongst other very useful posts.

So many of the posts in the themes forum are general 'how do I', and other than Adaptable and Essential, there wouldn't be any point having individual forums for any other theme that I can think of, while splitting the forum in that way would lose the ability to solve issues that occur across multiple themes, or a re in fact core issues.

As a moderator of the themes forum creating such sub forums would be a VERY bad idea for me in terms of trying to keep subscribed and provide support to the myriad different users and queries we get because I (we) don't have the ability to say we are only supporting (or concentrating our support) on a single theme. I would not be able to manage to support separate forums for every theme in the plugins database (as well as a 'general' forum area, and I know for a fact that some of those theme creators are not active here on the forums to provide their own support - whether they should be is a totally separate debate, they are not - and even if they withdrew those themes from active development support would still be required for people already using them.

Personally I do disagree with this suggestion, as I think it goes against the way the forums are set up and directly against the instructions normally given to open a new thread for a new question (making it much easier for other forum users to identify if their issue has been previously raised, or find solutions, or even just ideas and inspirations), but I understand your individual need to be able to manage the Adaptable threads and you are very active here providing that welcome support, and so if you are happy that this is the best way for you to manage those topics then go ahead. Perhaps another way to manage the length of the threads will be to close those grouped ones and reopen a new one for each (major) version of Adaptable as it is released?

My thoughts smile

Re: How best to provide theme support

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas on how best to provide theme (and other plugin support).

As several of you mention, the comments section for each plugin in the plugins directory doesn't really provide the opportunity to discuss the plugin in the way that a forum does, however I understand that improvements to comments functionality are planned, such as being able to reply to a particular comment, which will make it easier to use in future.

At various times in the past we've considered whether to create new forums for plugins in the plugins directory. The main problem with creating more forums in Moodle in English is that it would make the list of forums even longer, and more confusing for newcomers to figure out where to post.

One possibility, if there is sufficient demand for it, would be to create a new course for plugin forums. However if someone posted in the wrong place, their discussion thread could not be moved to a forum in a different course.

For now, I would follow Gareth's and Richard's recommendation of including the theme name in the discussion subject line / post title. Moderators can help by editing posts and adding the theme name where necessary.

Finally, a forum improvement that we can look forward to soon is sticky posts functionality, coming in Moodle 3.1. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: How best to provide theme support

by Fernando Acedo -

Hi Helen,

just read your post after write mine. Yes, I totally agree, the plugin comments are really useless.

I get many messages from there asking for support and then I redirect them to the forum. If you add the direct messages I receive then the support is becoming crazy.

Themes are different of other plugins because they have more interaction with users. And are more complex too. I think they deserve other kind of support.

The idea of a course could be really good. A introduction with generic information, tips (glossary?), links, the Knowledge Base (glossary) I explained would be also very useful, a forum and even a gallery images (database) to show your sites.

Would be wonderful

by Fernando Acedo -

Richard, the start point is that we use a forum to provide support. And a forum is not the best way to do it. Then we must try to improve the workflow to get the best of the solution we use.

You know that many users post questions in wrong forums, questions are not related to the plugin or simply ask questions that are obvious if you take a look to the plugin. Even worse, they enter a simple title that don't show where an what is the problem.

It is really strange a new thread with a correct title. So give the users this capacity is jnot a good idea because maybe for mods is valid but not for developers. It means we need to read all the messages (that do not include images or screenshots) or forum posts and then reply those that we mantain.

I would need to spend some time to give this support when other clients that pay for support will not attended. And this take me again to the same question: Why to publish in moodle if it could be a heavy workload?

The idea of subforums is the best because each plugin (or at least the most used) can have several categories to post questions. Anyway, I thing this solution can be applied to themes only. Other plugins are much simple and probably will not need this kind of structure.

The idea of threads by version is not very interesting because many questions will be common for all the versions. Then could be difficult to find a solution.

That will better for users seeking support and for mods and devs that provide it.

From here, what other solutions?

For example, something we use often in 3bits. A Knowledge Base. Using a glossary activity as a FAQ and linked to the first post, we can have questions and answers so it should be easy to find a solution for the most common questions. The Knowledge Base is commonly used in IT departments as a part of the ITIL. And from my point of view, as a former Service Manager, this is one of the most useful tools you can have to provide support.

Developers can add and maintain the Q&A. This feature can be enabled only under dev request and must be the responsible of it.

We are working in this solution, and also some other, for our clients and we can share it when done in the moodle forum. But keeping in mind that will be an external resource to moodle.

I think that we need to define what kind of support can give from moodle (devs and mods) and then find what tools included in moodle we can use for it.

For the moment I'm very happy with the solution provided by Mary and hope it works.

by Richard Oelmann -

I think an FAQ knowledge base for a particular plugin or theme is a great idea. And can be built into the doc page that can exist for any plugin, or be included on a github/bitbucket page (although I completely agree a glossary would be far better as the doc page is text only and would only really be a temporary work around, and definitely not an ideal solution, just making use of what we currently have as a stop-gap.)

However I have to disagree with your other comments. For me they come across as developer focussed and my first look (I like to think) is user focussed and I believe this move by you and Mary is not in line with that user-centric viewpoint, but that's my opinion and as we have before, we are entitled to different opinions, with the aim of finding the best solution through discussion (which I know is what we both strive for, even if we have different ideas about how to get there smile ). For me the starting point is not 'we use a forum to provide support' but 'users come to a forum to find solutions and advice' - the difference maybe subtle, but its significant, its the difference between 'teaching' and 'learning', between active users and passive ones, between developer focussed or user. I also feel that this method is a hurdle for other would-be contributors. I know if this is the way the forum had been structured when I started out, I would have been asking for the advice I needed, but would not have been encouraged to browse into forums about a specific theme I wasn't using and I feel I would have learned far less and so been able to contribute far less back to the community, but again that is a personal opinion based on how I entered the community as a user not as a developer - but then that's most of the community after all!

'You know that many users post questions in wrong forums, questions are not related to the plugin or simply ask questions that are obvious if you take a look to the plugin.' Gives just part of the reasons why I don't think the idea of sub-threads that has now been set up is a good one. It is going (IMO) to prove a nightmare for users to find the correct place to post once those threads grow beyond 5-6 separate discussions all clustered under those sub-topics, making the overall situation worse not better. And finding those 'obvious' answers by looking at the threads is going to become impossible.

If this works that will be great - I just don't see it being scalable from a user perspective, although it may well be ideally suited to an individual developer. If we are going down the road Mary has started with the thread she has set up (and I do still think its the wrong direction), then for me I would have preferred to see the 'sub threads' as separate threads of their own. That would at least slightly mitigate against the likelihood of them getting lost in the mass of posts being made in the single central thread.

To me, I can see where you are trying to get to, and I think that is a valid aim and a good place to get to for both users and developers. but IMHO this particular 'half-way house' way of working is the worst of all options rather than a positive step forward. I wait and hope to be proved wrong.

My thoughts and opinions. I hope I am wrong, but...

by Richard Oelmann -

Just using the very first example in that new thread, I believe makes my point immediately - while the user is in fact using Adaptable, this is an issue that would be equally useful to be able to find for users of just about any theme trying to add images to customcss. It is not an issue specific to Adaptable, but to how images are set in customcss. Eventually losing this within a huge thread detracts from the user experience of other forum users searching for similar issues in say Elegance, or Essential or Pioneer, or Flexibase and is going to increase our overall support requirements for other themes. sad

Having it in its own discussion thread (as per normal forum instructions) with a title something like [Adaptable] - Adding images in customcss would allow the developer to easily spot posts relevant to their own theme, but would allow other users to investigate that thread if they are browsing the forum list for something related to images in customcss.

Just because someone happens to be using a particular theme does not render their query only relevant to that theme.

by Fernando Acedo -

Richard, you can't prevent a user to ask a general question when it thinks is in the theme it is using. That is what I said before that about 50% of the questions are not related to the plugin itself and are more a general question.

In that case, what I do is a Google search instead a forum search. This is obvious but I think nobody do it. It is easier to open a thread and ask.

There are some forums where before open a new thread you are asked to fill a form (template) with information about the issue. Then you can open a thread for each one. The title includes the topic and you can pick up information about the OS, script, version, ...

But in a generic forum, it would be more a problem than a benefit. IMHO

by Richard Oelmann -

'Richard, you can't prevent a user to ask a general question when it thinks is in the theme it is using'

You are totally missing my point Fernando - the point is not to prevent them asking the question, or stop anyone identify the theme being used.  On the contrary, that's exactly what I do want people to do! The point is that that very useful question (useful to others in a wide range of themes) is going to ultimately get lost in a single huge thread about Adaptable, while the forum directions ask people to keep questions in separate threads to make them easier to find, use, browse, whatever.

'That is what I said before that about 50% of the questions are not related to the plugin itself and are more a general question.' Which is why i cannot understand why you want them buried in a single enormous thread titled for a single theme.

Everything you say seems to reinforce my point.

Yes, if the Moodle forums were set up differently from the word go, with the kind of separate individual forum for every single plugin that you might find on say Wordpress and if that was the way the whole community worked, that might be better ( I don't believe so myself, but it is the way other successful communities work). But that is NOT how they are and to change that would require the agreement of the entire development community, an entire different ecosystem of moderation and management down to the level of every individual 3rd party plugin.

Its not how the community currently works and I would personally be sad to see it go that way. And my opinion stands that while we are where we are, the direction that particular thread has taken is, to my mind a 'worst of all worlds' kind of compromise.

by Fernando Acedo -

Richard,

when I say:

'That is what I said before that about 50% of the questions are not related to the plugin itself and are more a general question.'

means that users create a thread in a forum because they feel is the right place. And later, mods, devs or any other user will see if:

- it is the right place (that's perfect)

- it is a general themes question (then should be moved to a general themes thread)

- it is a general moodle question (and then should be moved to the right forum)

This is part of the mods job. I can reply the post and say that is not a theme issue and even can answer the question but then, mods should move the post to the right place.

I don't know what rights mods have and if you can move threads to another forum. I see other mods do it so I guess yes. But I'm sure you can create a new thread and move the the post to the right place.

Then all the posts will be related to the theme and the 'off-topics' can be moved to a general or new thread.

What I learned some years ago as admin and mod in several forums was that users have a heavy trend to off-topics. Sometimes is not intended but many times is the lack of search the question before ask or simply no idea of what happens and ask only for help (the famous 'I need help!!!!!' thread title). And the only way to fix this 'wrong' threads is moving threads to right place and organize the rest in its categories.

by Richard Oelmann -

'This is part of the mods job'

Yes it is - but I still think that this way of doing things forces that and requires a much higher input from the moderators than if we focussed on asking people to do the right thing in the first place. It also creates a far worse user experience for posts to be shuffled around to different places all the time rather than encouraging people to do it right initially, particularly when they are buried in a long, confusing string of independent threads linked only by the fact that someone happens to be using a certain theme irrespective of what the actual issue is.

And moderator intervention should only be necessary if something is blatantly in the wrong place rather than an attitude of "oh put it somewhere kind of, sort of related and the moderators will sort it out"

Yes we can move a thread to another forum, if its in the wrong place, but not merge posts to an existing thread.

I'm not pretending that we will ever get users to be perfect in titling their posts, but I firmly do not believe that the structure adopted in the new adaptable thread is sustainable or scalable and that this is not the way that the Moodle forums have worked (very successfully) or are currently set up to work.

As I said before, if we were redesigning the entire forum ecostructure of Moodle then we might take that route, but that's not where we are and we need to start from where we are, not where we would like to start from.

Your goal is fine and I have no problem with that, finding a better way for users to access support is great. but I really don't feel this is the right way to do it. At least those separate threads should be entirely separate and not grouped under one single discussion, but as I've said many times, my feeling is we should concentrate more on ensuring separate queries are in separate threads and are properly titled, even if we as moderators need to support that titling - I think that's easier to manage than constantly shuffling threads around the forum and fits in with the instructions given for using all the forums across the whole of Moodle.org. Retitling, rather than shuffling and moving.

OK, I've said enough. I think everyone knows my views. The thread is going ahead the way Mary set it up and we will see what happens.

by Gareth J Barnard -

The word 'job' is a loose term as far as I know most moderators are volunteers.  We follow this: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moderator_guidelines - and should really intervene when we have to as I believe Richard says.  It is the duty of all posters to follow the site policy: https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=7080.

I consider that the forums are the first port of call when you're uncertain or want community support.  They work as they are and indeed having plugin specific forums would be a nightmare to manage, beyond the call of duty.

The best course of action is Helen's post: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=331868#p1336553.  I am still of a firm belief that posts should be to the point and not be a catch-all for everything that is wrong with a specific plugin.  Perhaps Fernando if there is a technical issue with knowing if something is directed at Adaptable and you need an Adaptable specific forum then you could always run and host your own forum for the theme, phpBB (https://www.phpbb.com/) is good open source software to allow you to do this.

by Mary Evans -

Hello to everyone reading this:

First of all I want to say that this conversation needs to end now, as it is not serving any purpose other than causing angst and unnecessary friction.

At the end of the day this is about one theme, yes just ONE THEME!!!

Strange as it may seem, but we used to have fun in this forum lets get back to that and stop all this now.

Thanks

Mary

by Emma Richardson -

Actually, as a user (I am not a developer) I have often wished there were separate forums for specific themes/plugins. It would make it much easier to scroll through and look at potential issues with a plugins.   As a user though, I am also very grateful for our developers and so if something would help them as well, I am all for it. But, I will bow to the moderators who seem to disagree with the idea of more forums.  I like the idea of an FAQ page for a plugin and perhaps adding a Known Issues section would help save the developers' time with repeated posts.  

by Fernando Acedo -

When I need help for a question, I use the forum to get information, or help, but when I post in the Adaptable thread is to provide support (or help)

As I said, we have a limited tools in moodle.org and we need to take profit of them. This is not an issue tracker, not a knowledge base and not a specific tool for bug/incident management so we should try to improve it or maybe change the method we try to help other.

The idea proposed by Helen could be a good (and easy) solution.

As far I remember, the forum functionality has not changed significantly from the beginning but moodle and the plugins are growing each day and probably is time to define new methods (or improve the existing). (Will celebrate the forum sticky posts??? )

BTW, BCU theme support thread has almost the same number of posts than Adaptable and we don't have problem to manage it. I know is actually almost dead but still open and we can provide some support except upgrades. But I don't remember to have this kind of problems in the past.

For the moment let's try the solution created by Mary and then we can discuss if it is beter or not and what other tools we have to improve the users help.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Fernando,

I do honestly think that we should close the Adaptable Theme Support and open a new thread so that you can continue your good work with this support thread.

That said, however, I also think it would be a good idea to create 5 or 6 threads within this new discussion.

For example:

[ADAPTABLE] THEME SUPPORT
- [ADAPTABLE] CSS & LESS & STYLING PROBLEMS
- [ADAPTABLE] LAYOUT PROBLEMS
- [ADAPTABLE] JS & jQUERY PROBLEMS
- [ADAPTABLE] PHP & CODING PROBLEMS
- [ADAPTABLE] GENERAL COMMENTS AND PRAISE

This way the sub-threads would be already in place and so any that fell out of those categories would have title of the main discussion.

Just a thought?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Fernando Acedo -

If this is possible then I will be very happy 

But I will simplify the topics:

- [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS
- [ADAPTABLE] CONFIGURATION PROBLEMS
- [ADAPTABLE] GENERAL COMMENTS AND PRAISE
With three sub-categories would be enough and will be simple for everybody.

I only need the word Adaptable in the thread title. It is long to explain how we process the  messages but moodle messages are filtered and forwarded to my account. The message subject with the word 'Adaptable' and 'moodle' are the triggers for the filters.

by Mary Evans -

In that case start it now if you have the time?

And I can close the old discussion.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Fernando Acedo -

Thank you very much Mary. Now it looks perfect for me and the old thread can be closed

Just we need to hope users post in the right place. (Hope is never lost)

by Mary Evans -

Thanks...in that case I will add a link to it in the new one.

Cheers

Mary