Google keyword in Japanese characters for my moodle site

Google keyword in Japanese characters for my moodle site

by Milan Mihajlov -
Number of replies: 11

Hi All,

I'm new to administrating moodle and to this forum. 

I have a problem with my site when it's queried on google. If you search moodle.uist.edu.mk you will get the description below the title in Japanese characters (see photo). I received an email about this problem from some random guy (nkyushop@gmail.com). The site is working perfectly except the problem mentioned above. 

Any solutions to this problem? Or suggestions? 

Thanks in advance.

Best,

MilanScreenshot from the google search

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Milan Mihajlov

Re: Google keyword in Japanese characters for my moodle site

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This is a Google issue...does the first link actually link to your site?  Do you have Japanese installed as language in Moodle?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Milan Mihajlov -

Yes it links to the site. No, no other language installed except English.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If I do that google search for your site and then follow the Japanese link, a look at the source code shows a script at the top of the code which almost certainly should not be there

Japanese script

You probably need to investigate that script, what it does and/or how it got there (is it there deliberately/maliciously?). I believe that is what is turning your site link on Google Japanese.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Milan Mihajlov -

Thanks. I deleted the script and I will check on google later since it needs some time to apply the changes.

I will tell you the outcome.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Milan Mihajlov -

Almost 20h later no changes in the google search. Still showing in japanese

by Guillermo Madero -

"This is Google's cache of http://uist.edu.mk/moodle. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 25 Apr 2016 11:31:11 GMT."  surprise

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JCeddNYmcPYJ:uist.edu.mk/moodle+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=mx

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Well if you look at the script, it was actually redirecting to another site...

by Guillermo Madero -

Yes, but check the date... April 25 2016?

Milan said he deleted the script on April the 20th.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Emma Richardson -

Oh you are right - I saw cache and just thought it was old!  Looking at the source code on the home page, I see no reference to the site in question.  Can Google have caches that old?  Seems strange...could it be that various people that have been testing have clicked on the link and so made it more important and thus sticking in Google?

by Guillermo Madero -

Yes, I saw the code, too, and that's why it surprised me seeing a day-old cache with that info; what you mentioned could be it, yes, i guess you are right on with that. In any case, well, it is now on Google's side, not much to do anymore.