Students do not have file picker to attach file

Students do not have file picker to attach file

by David Conrad -
Number of replies: 3

Greetings, we're using moodle version 2.8.4 and there's a forum issue in which the attachment area/file picker doesn't display. Originally, the forum (type = standard forum for general use) was set to 0 files and I increased it to 3. However, students is still unable to attach files because below the message field there is no Attachment area (which contains the file picker). I have logged in as the student and can confirm this issue (there's no spinning wheel either - see screen shot). Although the students can't see the attachment area, when I'm logged in as the admin, it's visible. 

I created a new forum with attachments = 0 and then changed it to 3 to see if the same issue happened again, and it did not. The attachment area loads for students. Its as if this forum is corrupted in some way. I checked the mdl_forum table in database and confirmed that attachments = 3. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Attachment Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 10.56.32 AM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Conrad

Re: Students do not have file picker to attach file

by Dr. Indira Koneru -

As Moodle admin, check student capability to Create attachments under Activity:Forum; whether it is set to 'Allow' or 'Prevent'.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dr. Indira Koneru

by David Conrad -

Hi Dr. Koneru, 

Thank you for your suggestion. It seems that despite the site-wide role setting that students can create forum attachments, when I look at the specific user via Check system permissions, his is set to No. Also, I see that there are several courses in which the student capability is set to Prevent instead of Allow. 

In reply to Dr. Indira Koneru

by David Conrad -

It seems that some of our courses have forums in which Permissions setting within a forum do not have Student listed. Adding Student in these settings has now allowed students to create attachments. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)