Text editors

Is this a WYSIWYG editor bug? headings become BOLD outside the editor

Picture of Dom F
Is this a WYSIWYG editor bug? headings become BOLD outside the editor

For some reason fonts that appear REGULAR when inside the WYSIWYG editor, become BOLDED when the save button is clicked and the result is viewed; 

This is very annoying. Can anyone help offer advice on how to ensure that if a portion of text ISNT bold within the WYSIWYG editor, its *stays* NOT BOLD when the editing is finished, saved and viewed.

This is currently happening and very annoying for end users as it means "what you see is NOT what you get"

I'm using Moodle 2.7.3 - no idea which editor I am using. I MAY be using Tiny MCE as this is what I could find in the "third party addins" section of Moodle

TinyMCE3.5.10/lib/editor/tinymce/tiny_mce/LGPL 2.1+

Either way - I'd really like to sort this out. Its like putting Radio 4 on the radio, and then as soon as you leave the toom it changes to some Death Metal station (so you go back in , and its radio 4 again ) and so on... 

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Is this a WYSIWYG editor bug? headings become BOLD outside the editor
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hi Dom - I am just moving your post to the Themes forum as, even though I'm not sure if it is a theme or editor issue, the people over on the Themes forum know all about this sort of stuff big grin

Picture of Dom F

Hi Mary,

Could you consider not doing that? As you say yourself - this is a situation that could be caused by a number of problems, and for once I would like to very politely and  gently push-back on having things all "neatly tidied away to remote areas of the site" - and as a result not benefit from a wider range of potential help

Thanks - in advance.

Dom

Gareth J Barnard
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Dom,

I just did a quick test with TinyMCE in Clean and Essential on Moodle 2.7 and 3.0 and the 'strong' tag is being applied correctly and showing as bold in the themes.  Thus it is an issue with the theme you are using.  And therefore this post should be in this forum and Mary was correct in moving it.

Gareth

Picture of Dom F

Thanks for that clarification Gareth, A lucky guess then on this one.

So what's the solution?

Gareth J Barnard

Not a lucky guess, people here will have the skills to investigate that sort of thing.

The solution depends why the theme is causing the problem.  I've just stated that other themes do not have the problem.  The solution lies with the person who created your theme or paying somebody else to investigate for you.

Gareth J Barnard

A further look in Clean shows that headings (h1) have a font-weight of 'bold' and so does 'strong' text.  Thus in and out of the editor things are ok.  The same is true for 'Essential' which uses a font-weight of 700.  Thus the fault will be somewhere with the theme editor styles stemming from the config.php not being correct.

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

You need to check that the typography styles set in your editor.css file (as Gareth says, this should be in your config.php) match those in your main theme css files, that way what you see in your editor will match what you see outside in the full display.

Not all themes identify an editor.css, which then can leave the editor displaying 'standard' typography (inherited from the parent I believe) and not replicating what you actually see in your theme. Or if your theme has been modified and the editor.css hasn't been, then again changes may not be reflected - this can certainly be an issue when those theme changes are made in customcss.

Picture of Dom F

Apologies - but I may have misunderstood - having had time invested in allocating my request for help to a specific forum -  there isnt any help to be offered.

As I say - perhaps I have misunderstood - but I certainly need help - and Mary has often told me Moodle.org is the place to come.

Picture of Dom F

Sorry my last reply has overlapped with your more recent reply (the consequence of running a kids charity almost single handedly)

I have read and re-read your last constructive suggestion - but I'm not sure I understand the language / meaning.

Gareth J Barnard

Hi Dom,

But we have helped you.  We have identified where the problem lies.  As it is with your theme and not having access to the theme code then that is as far as we can reasonably go.  Making the whole theme code available publicly somewhere may mean that somebody else with skills, experience and understanding will address the problem for you.  Being self-employed and not a charity that is not something I'd be willing to do without remuneration.  In general I help out on moodle.org because I want to, however very specific support is a different issue, especially when its not pertaining to any of my contributed themes / course formats.  Therefore the best person to ask is the theme designer.

Yes you do get help on Moodle.org rather than bashing your head against a brick wall when there is nobody to turn to.

Good luck,

Gareth

Picture of Dom F

As I say - my email has crossed over with your earlier post - as I suspect this email has with yours. (I think theres clearly a significant delay between posting and it appearing - hence the confusion being caused)

The theme developer - as is so often the case with volunteer led help - is no longer available - so i refer my honourable friend to the message I gave one response back (bullet points)

D

Picture of Fernando Acedo
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I see you are declaring a font that is not loaded, and therefore not used by the theme. It means that the font used is the browser's default.

The result from what you enter in the editor and the rendered font could be totally different because depends of the browser configuration.

Heading tags are also applying text-rendering: optimizelegibility; which means the final result could be lightly different of the real font.

Verify the font is really loaded and then we could see if it is well applied to the theme or not.

Picture of Dom F

Thankyou for these very helpful suggestions and thoughts.

The irony is I need a moodle developer to explain them to me (or at least put "not a moodle developer" in my profile / signature.

I don't want to ignore but use these terrific suggestions, but I have to start from...

1. Which file or files need changing - and where are they located in a standard install. (I do at least know where the uk film net custom css file is!) but that sit.
  2. What are the keywords or terms I need to search for in the file, and what do they need changing to
  3. If I have that - then I know enough about taking careful file backups and FTP - to have a brave go at fixing this.

...otherwise I'm afraid I cant capitalise on this kind help. sad

Picture of Fernando Acedo
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Could you add this code to your custom.css or the theme custom css option?

h3, h4, h5, h6, header {
    font-family: sans-serif;
    font-weight: normal !important;
}

Frankie's the name, Moodle's my game!

Hi Dom F

Did you solve the problem? Just asking...and curious.

Regards
Frankie Kam