Tried to send you an email but failed!' is most likely due to an incorrect SMTP server configuration.

Tried to send you an email but failed!' is most likely due to an incorrect SMTP server configuration.

by David Stepanczuk -
Number of replies: 10

Yeah, I have seen this topic in the forum, but I cannot make heads of tails out of the responses: I'm a teacher, not an IT guy. 

I've just set-up a number of courses using Moodle 3. My web host/server provides it. All courses are set up nicely. Now it's time to enroll some dummy students to see how easy.hard it is to self-enroll. The email client I used is Yahoo mail. After filling out the ID, password, etc for the dummy S I hit the button for sending confirmation email & got "Tried to send you an email but failed!' is most likely due to an incorrect SMTP server configuration." See what authentication I've set up so far. [attachment]

Kindly tell me what should I do step-by-step.

Thank you.

Attachment moodle extra domian.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Stepanczuk

Re: Tried to send you an email but failed!' is most likely due to an incorrect SMTP server configuration.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Your attachment has nothing to do with Moodle authentication - it is just showing that your webserver set up your domain.

You need to tell Moodle what email account it is going to use to send messages.  You do this on the Admin Settings/Plugins/Message Outputs/Email.  If you have email through your webhost, they will be able to help you with the settings.  If you want to use your Yahoo account, then you need to find the yahoo settings. 

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Tried to send you an email but failed!' is most likely due to an incorrect SMTP server configuration.

by Omar Al Sayyed -

Hi emma

I have the same problem and will send attached file describe to settings 

and i changed in database (smtphost) ,  userpassword and in supportemail same as setting .

I use port 25

thank you very much

In reply to Omar Al Sayyed

by Omar Al Sayyed -

Hi emman

the user is created but not received an email

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Was there an error message when you tried to send the email?  Did you receive a bounceback email?

by Omar Al Sayyed -

I receive "Tried to send you an email but failed" and the email is not sent

by Emma Richardson -

Then your settings are wrong.  Double check with your mail server to see what you need to change.  

by Omar Al Sayyed -

Dear Emman

I set all the required information in email ( site administration-plugins-message outputs-email)

SMTP hosts: smtp server name

SMTP security : none (there is no secure connection)

SMTP username: admin@ServerName

SMTP password (password for the user)

SMTP session limit (500)

No-reply address(nothing here) do i need to fill it

Always send email from the no-reply address? not check 

Character set : UTF-8

Allow user to select character set : not check

Allow attachments : check

Newline characters in mail: LF

I also make changes to the (mdl_config) database to the smtphost,supportemail

Please advise me

by Emma Richardson -

I know that you sent the settings but I have no idea what the settings should be for your mail server.  Have you checked your mail server to see if there are any errors there?  

Changing them in the database and in the web gui is replicating the work and now you have two places to look for a typo or mistake.  I would suggest adding a noreply@yourdomain.com address for the no reply address.  I would talk to your host about why the emails are not being sent...they should be able to help you.

by Omar Al Sayyed -

Hi Emma

I have add the noreply@servername.org  and results ,same problem

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

You need to speak to whoever runs your server - ask them to confirm the settings are correct, then if they are, they will need to look at the server setup or error log (and their email platform maybe) to get any answer(s) on why it's not working.

Usually, if you've put all the settings in correctly, it is something to do with their setup behind the scenes which will need changing / fixing (especially if it has aggressive security settings to prevent emails being sent that shouldn't be).