Loan calculator block

Loan calculator block

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I see now the infamous "Loan calculator block" on this course page (top right column). Certainly an error smile Or not?

Cheers,

Nicolas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

Re: Loan calculator block

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Certainly an error

Not really. As was announced today the block has been modernized to use the cutting edge web development technology (AMD Javascript modules, Mustache template rendering etc) and will be re-included as a standard block with Moodle 3.1.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks David. I'm afraid I skipped this info smile.

IMHO, having nothing to do with an LMS feature, this block could disappear from Moodle without problem. But YMMV and as I won't use it, no problem for me. Just one more thing to maintain for the devs. And it should not clutter "Moodle in english".

PS. Having seen this, I recall myself this general principle for software dev: "Do one thing, and do it well" (as Martin himself and others remembered). I would be so sorry that Moodle lose focus outside of the LMS core features (though one can debate about what are the core features of an LMS).

Ciao, Nicolas

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Nicolas, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. Have you any idea of the pain and anguish many students have gone through, simply because Moodle stopped offernig a simple way to calculate loan repayments?

I've lost count of the endless hours I've spent supporting students to get through this. I'm so glad this block is back in Moodle (implemented in such a modern way). I'm confident that this is the right decision and that there is no chance of it disappearing again tomorrow.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Davo, you're certainly right. I'll reconsider my position, and maybe will ask on the tracker for a new block in the core of Moodle. I'll suggest "Calorie Calculator" with a specific focus on fish dishes.

Hopefully will MoodleHQ understand the high priority of such a project.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As a lover of mathematics, numbers and statistics I was delighted to see the loan calculator back but I must say - calorie counter would get my vote smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

there is no chance of it disappearing again tomorrow

Definitely. Still, just in case, I am attaching a screenshot so that if, by any chance, the block magically disappeared, we would have a sweet memory.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I wondered if it was some new cunning way of financing Moodle development

In reply to Marcus Green

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I just installed the block and also found out that I can save 15% on my auto Insurance!