Documentation and interlanguage links

Documentation and interlanguage links

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I have a question : i'd like to have, for one documentation (say 3.0 or dev) a list of all pages having links to french docs, but pointing to an unexisting french page (in french documentation).

Knowing that would allow to update links (in english documentation) or create missing pages (in french documentation).

How could i do that?

Séverin

PS : of course, knowing the opposite (broken links in french documentation to english pages) would help!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: Documentation and interlanguage links

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

Nobody having any answer or clue about how to do that?

Séverin

by Séverin Terrier -

It seems nobody knows anything about that sad

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Séverin

Can you imagine doing that in the present jungle called Moodle Docs? By forcing the version number in to the top hierarchy of the docs (https://docs.moodle.org/XY/lang/) the docs exploded. The kind of stream-lining you propose is now out of the question!
sad
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi Visvanath,

I know you don't like the multi wiki documentation choice made some years ago. For sure it has cons, but also pros, making things easy to tell exactly what is in a specific version.

But sure it's a pain to maintain several versions, when you want to add/modify things in it sad

I would at least be able to (easily) modify french links (in english doc) ; it would then be kept for futur versions.

Séverin

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Séverin

My likings don't count provided that the Moodle Docs are happy. Happy docs will make the help-seekers happy, happy help-seekers will make the helpers happy.
8-?

Coming back to your original question, what you are looking for is a list of broken links in the english documentation which points to french documentation. Well, why to french docs only? This is a general question which is valid for all other languages too. Yes, there is also the reverse, given a docs wiki of one language finding out the broken links to a given second language.

The general answer is IMHO is a script which takes four parameters as input: version of the source wiki (sXY), language of the source wiki (slang), version of the target wiki (tXY) and the language of the target wiki (tlang) - /dev/ being a special case, because it has "no language". Possibly a scripting project for somebody along the lines of this "[Firefox] Add-on: Compare MoodleDocs" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=210082 ?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi Visvanath,

Of course, i was talking about french, because it's the language i'm using and working with/for, but the use case is for every language.

I think the solution you talk about could be a great one ; just hope someone (with required skills) will be able to take time for it...

Séverin

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Séverin Terrier -

I jon,

Thanks for your suggestion. But i already know special pages, and it doesn't really help for that, because they're related to the (current) wiki, and what i'd like is related to 2 (different) wikis.

And the aim is to avoid cheking manually all pages having interlangage link!

Séverin