downloading instead of viewing office documents

downloading instead of viewing office documents

by Pablo Luna -
Number of replies: 5
The problem is that users can't download office documents because the option to download it is not shown.
A way to solve it would be to make the browser to display the window for download or viewing options. But unfortunately this isn't trivial.
Does any one know how to do it or have any other idea to make possible the download of such files??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pablo Luna

Re: downloading instead of viewing office documents

by John Gone -
You may have to document this process for users. It's a good thing to know anyway...
In reply to John Gone

by Pablo Luna -
Hi John thanks for answering..
May be i didn't explain my self.. Showing the option window would be a nice solution, but i couldn't do it. I search browsers options, apache options, and didn't find the way to do it.
I must tell that using windows 2000 and mozilla browser or ie6 the option windows is shown, but using windows 98 and ie5 such windows doesn't apear and the document is directly open.
The question is... does any one know how to make that window apear?.. or does any one solve this problem in some other way?
thanks!!
In reply to Pablo Luna

by Pablo Etcheverry -
Picture of Core developers
This happens with any "registered" document under IE. I use Firebird and everytime I  download a PowerPoint file, the browser launches PowerPoint itself. This doesn't happen under IE, which opens the file in the same window. Don't know of a solution to this, since you can't do a "CTRL+S" to save an open PowerPoint document...
In reply to Pablo Luna

by Tony Ruggiero -

Pablo:

The way we solved it was to create a simple web page with links to a directory we created to hold such documents. We listed the web page using a Resouce. The student is then instructed to right click on the link and download the document to their system. They can then open it any time they wish.

Hope this helps...

Tony

In reply to Tony Ruggiero

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Note also the link appears in the navigation breadcrumb trail ... so a right-click there will also work without needing to do anything special.

This problem is a IE+Office problem ... there is a way to disable this embedding (I linked it before somewhere in the forums... )