trying to install moodle on verio

trying to install moodle on verio

by pixels sideways -
Number of replies: 4

Hello:

I have web hosting on verio.  I've been trying to install Moodle 3 for the last 24 hours unsuccessfully. 

I have two domains -- and am using one of them with a folder and the moodle folder in that sub. 

domainname.com/myfolder/moodle

I'm installing Moodle primarily to test it and see if it will work for an edu project before we decide to commit to getting our own server for this project.

Last night I actually got the install to start but the paths were wonky -- and the verio help people told me to use another path but I couldn't edit the paths in the install screen so I gave up and tried again this morning.

Now I can't even get the install to work.

When I type in the url  http://www.mydomain.com/myfolder/moodle  I now get the following message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I tried to do the config.php thing but that didn't work so I put the original config-dist.php file back into the folder.  I've installed tons of software on my computer and have had to configure things and work with config files but the config file for moodle is confusing.

I'm close to the "I'm so over this I'm done point" -- just tossing the whole idea of using this.  

I've gone over the installation instructions numerous times, I just can't seem to get this to work.

I created a database and a user name with password so that's all set.   The database is located in the root:

Server Name: myusername.veriomysql.com

The server is running on Debian.

MySQL Version: 5.5.44

PHP Version: 5.5.22

I'm at my wit's end so before I delete everything and check myself into a sanitarium, I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help walk me through this.

I didn't realize this was going to be this challenging. 

I've worked with code so I sort of understand where/how to insert code in files or dos but not on a web hosted space -- I don't even know where to find the command lines.  I'm not familiar with sql or php as far as setting up stuff.

It's all a mystery.

Any help that anyone can offer will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to pixels sideways

Re: trying to install moodle on verio

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

How big do you  need your test to be? Are you trying to replicate what you would need in the future on a large scale  -or do you just want a small site to try with a few people? If the latter is the case, then you could just get a free MoodleCloud site.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by pixels sideways -

Thank you for your reply -- I was hoping to try the full install to see how it works on vps before we make a decision to get our own server via a hosting company.

In reply to pixels sideways

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The config.php file is created meanwhile installation, not something that you would create prior to installation (usually the case of wordpress). this may be the case, for you have already defined config.php, and in that case, you'll be seeing paths that cannot be edited.

Now, I am not aware of which hosting package you've got with Vario, whether shared or VPS, as if it's shared, there must be script installer that came with the part of package as vario shows "power plug-ins" as per their site. Use that in priority (assuming moodle is listed in their offerings), and see how the config.php file is configured.

else, without creating config.php file, just unzip moodle folder, create a database manually and opening your URL to mydomain.com/folder/moodle will start installation, and your config.php file will be created automatically meanwhile, as moodle creates config.php file AFTER you've given paths and database username/password. In rare cases (due to directory permissions) you will be presented with information that makes up config.php file (again after inputting required paths), then you have to manually create the config.php file simply copying pasting the information provided.

If it's just moodle you want to test, then do as Mary recommended, using free moodle cloud account.

In reply to Usman Asar

by pixels sideways -

Thank you for your reply.

There is no script installer -- they use Mojo and Moodle is not one of the programs listed.   I later found out that verio supports 1.9 Moodle but was told to install the latest version of Moodle anyway.  They also don't have chron so i'll have to use a 3rd party chron service.

I'll try this again and see if I can get it to install.

Thank you again for your help.