New users stuck on Edit Profile page

New users stuck on Edit Profile page

by Elaine Topham -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

We have recently started having issues with our new user account creations in Moodle and would appreciate any suggestions/advice! 

Our users are created from LDAP, however over the last week newly created users are being taken to the Edit Profile page.  At present, part of the problem is that the SMTP settings are not setup in Moodle (I know, but I've asked for the settings ... our IT department are very busy at present!).  So I've removed the option for requiring confirmation on email changes, however when I then log in with one of these new users, they are still stuck on the Edit Profile screen (they cannot go to Home or any enrolled courses).  Another thing we have noticed is that new users are not being imported with a First Name and in some instances no Surname either.  It appears to me that something has gone wrong with LDAP profile mapping, but it's our IT guys that deal with that...

I mainly want to check on here to see if you know of any settings within Moodle itself that may be causing this, or whether it's definitely a problem with LDAP/Moodle syncing.

Apologies if I've left off important information, but I am just trying to get some ideas as to what the problem might be.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/advice!

Elaine

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elaine Topham

Re: New users stuck on Edit Profile page

by Kint Tan -

Some profile fields are mandatory. Like country, description etc. Make sure you have all those fields synced with LDAP. And of course you need to have those data in your AD account.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kint Tan

by Elaine Topham -

Hi Kint,

Thanks for your reply - I think we have kinda worked out the issue is as you say with the fields that are syncing with AD, or not as the case may be! Nothing to do with the emails, more that the first name field isn't being imported into the profile, which is a required field... Hence users are unable to get out of the Edit Profile screen .... Or at least that's what I think.

I know changes have been made to AD in the last week, so meeting with IT tomorrow hopefully to get it sorted smile

In reply to Elaine Topham

by Heather P -

Hi

a little after your posting so I'm hopeful you are all sorted out now,

I notice the line in your posting that says you have turned off the option for requiring confirmation of email changes.

Can you tell me where that option is please. I'm desperately seeking it as we never used to have that turned on and now the confirmation messages aren't going anywhere. I'd rather just turn it off.

Thanks

Heather

In reply to Heather P

by Elaine Topham -

Hi Heather,

Sadly not sorted yet, but we've passed info onto our IT team who will fix it (hopefully) soon. In the meantime they are manually updating the profiles for users with this issue.

Anyway, I'm pleased to say I can answer your query, this setting can be found under Site Admin -> Security -> Site Policies and the setting is right near the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps!

Elaine