Please explain

Please explain

by Annette Knobloch -
Number of replies: 6

I see this in the settings for the Moodle Database activity:

Note: If entries are required before viewing, the database auto-linking filter should be disabled. This is because the database auto-linking filter can't determine whether a user has submitted the required number of entries.

But, I do not see a setting for this auto-linking, nor do I have clue as to what it is, for Moodle database.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annette Knobloch

Re: Please explain

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Annette Knobloch -

Where is it? What does it do? Auto links to what? Moodle database does not appear to be relational, and is very simplistic.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Derek Chirnside -

Mary, maybe the problem is how to switch the filters off.

At a quick glance I could not find how to do this covered in the docs.

Getting them On is OK

See: https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Filters_FAQ#How_do_I_enable_filters.3F

I'm reluctant to add something in case it is there but not where I looked.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Annette - the Database auto-linking filter links to entries in the database so that if they appear on a course page then the definition of that word or information about that database entry is linked to automatically. To turn off the filter just for one database in your course, click on that database activity and then in the block Administration > Database activity  administration >Filters , you can change the dropdown for database linking to "off".

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Itamar Tzadok -

Mary, maybe the note is somewhat misleading. If I'm not mistaken, it should not be about disabling the filter, but about not using auto linking in the activity. If the activity uses auto linking and you disable the filter in the activity context, the entries would still be auto linked in other contexts, right? smile

In reply to Annette Knobloch

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Annette,

Please follow Mary and Itamar's explanations.

I just attached two screenshots here as what they said:

1.  Keep the default filter setting untouched (Means you don't have to bother to change it)

2. ONLY if you require your students to submit #number of entries before they can view other students' entries, then, make sure you do NOT tick the 'Allow autolink' (Means you don't have to bother to change it).

MOST of time, in my case, I don't want to autolink a student's entry (they are not good to be linked yet smile), so I just keep the both as default, always.