repeated disappearing student data, after entry in Moodle database

repeated disappearing student data, after entry in Moodle database

by Annette Knobloch -
Number of replies: 1

Moodle 2.4. I have three of 24 student who are reporting frustration due to repeated disappearance of their entered data, after Save and Review, in the Moodle Database activity, Are there known issues?

Attached is what I see, after tracking in Reports, Logs, for this learning activity, add data. I click on that, and get to empty entries, for that student. In the actual database activity, I do see several similar empty entries, not identifiable by student.

The three students reporting this issue to me have been hard working, and their perspectives are plausible.

There are other known issues that may be involved, but I think these students have accounted for these, especially in subsequent attempts:

• Our college computing is under the umbrella of a hospital and health care system, with time outs and blocking, if there are no keystrokes per a certain period of time. Therefore, stepping away to wash clothes, multitask, or even to read related work while at the computer
  • Some students may be attempting school work from a hospital workplace computer. They may be able to get to the Moodle course, but there may be security blocks and additional time outs or bump outs, on their end.
  • Periods of peak work, where our system is very slow, and/or locks up.

I have talked to one of these students extensively, and she states that the above bullet points are not the problem.

Attachment Segur_student_disappeared data.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annette Knobloch

Re: repeated disappearing student data, after entry in Moodle database

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Annette,

I trust your hard working students too. I saw similar things happened to my students often prior Moodle2.7 age.

Student might accidentally click the Save button, it add an empty entry. Then they kept adding new entries, their BEST work actually had been saved, but the teacher or student has to check it carefully and remove the redundant entries. (I guess , just guess, those student's multiple entries were not lost.)

To avoid this: 

Upgraded to V2.7 or latest version. Then, you will see a check box "Required field"

Timing out might be another reason. 

Same, the Moodle2.7 and newer version are using ATTO editor, which can AUTOsave, you never lost anything smile Yes