Banner/Pop up announce at course level | any ideas?

Banner/Pop up announce at course level | any ideas?

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 4

I'm coping (barely) with the chaotic start to a course and I'm just curious if there is a nice way to display a notice/news item as a banner at the top of the course page.

• Ideally maybe to have a news forum and for the latest news item to show there?
  • Ideally showing however we end up on the course eg from a forum post link or via any page.
  • Ideally with a click to go away after reading

But I'd go with anything, and if I have to I may just do it manually.  Ie use some nice bootstrap stuff.  If this is the only option, any ideas?

The reason I am interested, is that I've sent a message via the course forum once a day just with next tasks etc.  But Ideally I'd have a notice to indicate the key thing(s) there for all to see when they log in.  "Recent Activity" is OK, but it does not separate out important recent activity from 16 other tiny things.  Plus the block is a bit old school looking . . .

-Derek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Banner/Pop up announce at course level | any ideas?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A block region with the latest news block (or similar - an RSS feed perhaps?) across the top of the course content?

Using the block name (and the course id if necessary) it could be styled differently from the others if necessary.

Using a block region like the ones in flexibase, you could even put an html block there, at the top of the course page, with a bootstrap carousel in it, for example.

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Derek,

Do you have the Generico filter installed? It has a bunch of predefined filters that can be setup with just a couple of clicks. In this case you would go to an empty template, click the menu dropdown for, Autofill template with a Preset, then select, Toggle. Toggle does what you want. It will let you create a label, such as "Click Me!" that when clicked will show whatever you want it to. When you click again, it will hide the item/text/whatever.

I'm working on a version that hopefully, will also let you define font size, font color, and background color.

Here is an example of what a student would see with the toggle filter in use as currently implemented in Topic 0.

Here is what was put into the topic 0 text box in edit mode. The Generico filter entered the first and last lines. You put whatever you want in between them.

There are a LOT of other uses available via the Generico filter such as postit notes, info boxes, warning boxes, countdown timers, etc.

In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Didn't take as long as I thought it would, so attached is a copy of the Generico toggle filter, that will let you define the font color and background color, by typing in a 6 digit hex code without the # sign. It will also let you set the font size. The really nice thing about this I just discovered, is that you can add an audio or video, or multiples of them, without increasing the length of you course page, except when you click the toggle to make the content visible.

Student view before clicking.

After the link is clicked, it shows the content. In this example, some text, an audio file, and a video file.

And all this semi-complicated text is mostly handled by the filter when you insert it. As mentioned before, the filter types in the first and last lines. The teachers add the stuff in between. In this case, some text, and mp3 and mp4 file recorded by using the PoodLL anywhere toolbuttons installed in my Atto Editor.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Derek Chirnside -

Busy here AL, students arrival cuts into your day severely - Thanks, I'll get to this soon and install the code.

Regards

-Derek