Missing text editor toolbar on MOODLE

Missing text editor toolbar on MOODLE

by Gorman Lee -
Number of replies: 10

I am a complete novice with MOODLE. All I know is that yesterday when entering content to a course I had the text editor toolbar; and today, there is no toolbar and content is now in plain text/HTML code. I have no idea what happened overnight or how to get back the text editor toolbar! Did I inadvertently do something? Is there a plugin bug (I haven't installed any plugins recently that would have caused the disappearance of the text editor toolbar)? I tried reading similar posts and responses and I am totally clueless on how to manage the administrative side of things. Is there anyone who can please explain to me or help troubleshoot in laymen terms?  

On a side note, I have access to a different MOODLE site (same version, 2.9) and there the toolbar exists when entering content. Where can I pinpoint the difference in settings between the two MOODLE sites where one has the text editor toolbar and the other does not?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gorman Lee

Re: Missing text editor toolbar on MOODLE

by Mihai Bojonca -
Picture of Testers

Go to you profile preferences an make sure that in the Text Editor preferences you have selected Atto or TinyMce, or if for some reason you may have disabled it if you have access to admin settings go to you Plugins Tex Editor manage editor s and make sure it is enabled.

In reply to Mihai Bojonca

by Gorman Lee -

Thank you. Yes, both are enabled and Atto is selected as the default. I still am unable to see the text editing toolbar on any of the text fields. 

In reply to Gorman Lee

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Gorman, sometimes there is another option (pull down menu) directly below the text area on what kind of editor to use. Also try with a different browser like Chrome or Firefox. Check there, and let us know.

In reply to Kim Salinas

by Gorman Lee -

Hi Kim,

I've tried Chrome, Safari, and Firefox on my Macs.

However, when I logged into the course on my Windows laptop, and edit settings, I see the text editing toolbar! 

But to make this even more complexing, on my Mac, when I log on to a different Moodle site (such as Moodle.org) I see the text editing toolbar.

I'm pinpointing the issue being the specific Moodle course with Macs, and not Windows. It's not a general or widespread issue, there's some kind of setting on this particular Moodle course site that is not jiving when viewing through a Mac-based computer (desktop and laptop). I just can't seem to pinpoint the actual problem.

Thanks for helping me out!

In reply to Gorman Lee

by Gorman Lee -

I am attaching a screenshot of what I see on my iMac and MacBook Pro. Notice that the toolbar is missing.

Attachment Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 3.07.11 PM.png
In reply to Gorman Lee

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

What browser are you using with this screenshot? Can you provide a screenshot of your editor settings  on the same site? Go to User menu (upper right where your name is) > Preferences > Editor preferences

In reply to Gorman Lee

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have seen a problem like this before but what I'm gonna suggest may not apply to your situation ... depends.   By chance did you get off into the area where one could add a button to the toolbar of the Atto editor?  And did you attempt to add a button?

Nothing wrong with doing that, but if one wasn't careful when copying and pasting the 'code' to insert a button in the editor ... missed a character of something while pasting, that would render the editor to no tool bar at all.

Even if you didn't attempt such a thing, think I'd try this ...

Go to the area for config of the editor:

Site Admin - Plugins - Text Editors Atto - Atto Tool Bar Settings ... or direct with URL (you change for your site)

http://yoursite/admin/settings.php?section=editorsettingsatto

On that screen it  shows the dialog box so admin could add a button but it also has just below the dialog box, the original settings for the editor.

One could highlight the 'default' settings shown below the box, copy to clipboard, then replace all the text in the dialog box.

This should set it back to defaults.

Save.   Purge Caches.  Then go to any where that would show an editor and see if the editor toolbar shows.

Keeping fingers crossed for ya! ;)

Attached is screen shot.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Attachment snap2.png
In reply to Gorman Lee

by Gorman Lee -

Thanks for all the reply posts so far. I'm examining each possible reasons and steps to troubleshoot.

But please allow me to make this even more complexing... Ha!

I have been working on a Mac (both iMac and MacBook Pro). 

When I login via a Windows-based laptop, I see the Atto Text Editor toolbar on my Moodle course. But when I log into my Macs, it is not there and everything is in HTML/plain text code.

HOWEVER, on my Macs, when I go to a different Moodle site (such as Moodle.org), I see the Atto Text Editor toolbar. 

Am I making sense?

I have not added or modified buttons on the toolbar. I just turned on my Mac one day and logged in, and discovered that the toolbars are no longer there.

Please let me know what other information you need to help me figure out this problem.

Thanks!

In reply to Gorman Lee

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

That's strange!  It's 'normally' the other way round ... all other browsers can except IE!!!

But, a suggestion.  On a Mac, using FireFox, install Web Developer Tools.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools

Now don't get scared ... we are NOT gonna ask you to develop anything! ;)  We're using the tool to gather info ... that's all!

Once installed, start FireFox.  Before you hit your Moodle, launch from the Tools menu of browser, Web Developer, Network.   That will popup a smaller window and as you 'surf' it will show what files, etc. are being transferred from the site to your machine.

You might see some errors for js files that are needed to build the Auto editor Tool bar.

IF you do see errors, take a screen clip of that Web Developer Tools Network window, edit it to blacken out any sensitive info, and then come back here and post.   Don't really know IF we can solve the issue but without some more info, we're all taking stabs in the dark! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gorman Lee

by Steve McGuire -
Hi,

My editor suddenly did not appear when editing the topics format. I finally realized that I had limited the number of weeks/topics at the administration level to 15 even though the course was set to 20. When I changed the administration setting it worked.

The error occurred in the topics past topic 15 and remained even if I moved that topic higher up in the pages.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature, but it solved my own particular problem. If It's relevant, I am using Moodle 3.03+ on a Mac and the error remained whichever browser I tried (Firefox, Chrome, and I think even Safari).

Steve