Different quiz and assignment deadlines for different groups

Different quiz and assignment deadlines for different groups

by Sarra Lev -
Number of replies: 9

I know this is covered in documentation, but I've tried reading and watching youtube videos, and I'm utterly confused, so if it's not too much to ask...
I'm trying to achieve two things:
1. I have two classes that are doing the same material on different days of the week. That means that the quiz and all the assignments need to be set for a deadline for one group on one date, and for the next group the deadline should be set to the next day. Do I have to duplicate the quiz and all the assignments and then set each one for each of the two groups?! That seems like it will create a lot of clutter and make it very difficult to manage the course.

2. WITHIN those two sections, I have people working in pairs. I'd like them to be able to hand in their assignments in pairs. Is there any way to do this?

HELP!

(Edited by Helen Foster to clarify the subject of the discussion - original submission Wednesday, 10 February 2016, 12:31 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarra Lev

Re: sarralev

by Bill Huckeba -

Sarra, I followed you over from the MOOC.  I too would like to understand Groups - I have 7 classes doing most of the same activities.  Since I am still building my course, I don't want to make copies and have lots of courses to edit.  I replied so I would see any feedback you get.

In reply to Sarra Lev

Re: Different quiz and assignment deadlines for different groups

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sarra and Bill,

First off, let me say that you are welcome to call me via Skype for clarification/help with this as I am not a pro and while I always understand my wrtng, it might not be clear to others. My Skype ID is in my Moodle profile.

Truthfully, this is going to get a little complicated and cluttered no matter how you decide to proceed.

Answer for item 2 first. You need to set up multiple groups containing two students, in each of your two classess and then set your assignments up for group submissions.

As for your first item, you basically have three possibilites, make duplicate copies of your course, duplicate your items, or set up access restrictions for each item.

Right off the bat, I would not duplcate the course unless you nearlly always are giving different assignments and quizzes to each of your two classes.

Duplicating assignments and quizzes - Since individual assignments and quizzes right now can only have ONE due date, if you REALLY want to use due dates, you will have to use duplicate copies of your assignments and quizzes, basically a set for each class. By using groups of two students and a grouping for each class, say Tuesday and Thursday, you can easily make it to where students see ONLY the assignment/quizzes that apply to them, which cuts down on the clutter for them, but as the teacher, you will see ALL of the topic entries. You will need to spend a little extra time and effort setting up you grade book to make sure students grades are based on the correct set of assignments and quizzes. In each of your assignments and quizzes, you would need to set the Common Module Settings for Separate Groups and set Grouping for the correct class. You would also need to set an Access Restriction, to hide assignments and quizzes that students are not responsible for.

Access Restrictions - If you DON'T want to duplicate everything, then EVERY assignment and Quiz will neeed two Access Restriction sets applied to them. One restriction set would control which grouping it applied to and a start and end date during which the students of the grouping would be able to access the assignment/quiz. The second restriction set would control access for the second grouping. Using access restrictions, you can really cut down on the clutter for students by making the items not even be visible except during the days/time they have access.

No matter which way you set things up, the teacher view will be cluttered because of all the restriction sets or duplicated assignments/quizzes with due dates being visible to the teacher all of the time.

Here is a sample view for a teacher. Topic 1 is two assignments using access restrictions. Topic 2 is two assignments for Tuesday class and two for Thursday class. The only difference is the due dates and they also use a simple access restriction to hide items for the "other" class.

This is a typical view of the same course for a student.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Bill Huckeba -

Thanks Al! 

Sarra, I think I just found how to do what I needed.

I searched for Groups under documentation

I found I could have kids be placed in a group with a specific enrollment key for each class period.

Now I have them sorted by class period.  Next week I will give a quiz and see if I can view results by class.

Hope that helps!

Bill

In reply to Bill Huckeba

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just to say that for quizzes you can have different start and end dates for different users and for different groups. within the same quiz. You can also have other different options. CLick on your quiz once it is  made and look in the Quiz administration block for User and/or Group overrides, where you override the original settings for the quiz. So here I made a quiz for groups with start and end date as below:

Then I went into Quiz administration >Group overrides and changed the dates for two of my groups as you can see here:

Same quiz, different dates. (This feature is not currently available for assignments but you can vote for it: MDL-42749 )

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Mary!

I had totally forgotten the user and group overrides had been added. In this case, I think Sarra would want to add two more groups, one for each class. It will be much easier to set a group override for two groups than it would be for however many groups of two she has to have for her students to work  and submit assignments in pairs.

Can you confirm...students have no way of knowing when the test will open and close for them unless they click on it like they are going to attempt the quiz?

In reply to AL Rachels

by Sarra Lev -

Sorry for the delayed thank you. There was a sudden death in my family and I'm just now catching up. So...

Thank you both so much.

I'm going to try it out, and I will definitely take you up on the skype idea if I can't get it all to work out.

Much appreciated.

Sarra

In reply to Sarra Lev

by AL Rachels -

Hi Sara,

Sorry to hear about your loss. You are welcome to call me via Skype anytime as I have it on my phone. It would be best to call while I am online. You can tell by logging into here, Moodle.org, and look for me in the ONLINE USERS list that is visible when you are on the Moodle in English page.

In reply to Bill Huckeba

by AL Rachels -

Hi Bill,

In quiz Edit mode, just make sure you have your quiz Common module settings > Group mode set up for visible or separate groups and you will be able to view the results by class based on your new group names. When you go to look at the quiz grades page you will have a drop down menu near the top of the page that lets you select which group of grades you want to see. It will also change the statistics on the page to show the performance of the selected group.