Moodle 3.0 Gradebook Aggregation Display

Moodle 3.0 Gradebook Aggregation Display

by Nancy K Hoke -
Number of replies: 2
Greetings - we are currently in Moodle 2.7 and I am investigating Moodle 3.0/3.1 for possible upgrade this summer. We require that the Moodle gradebook be used by all courses and the final grade is sent from Moodle to Banner. In my investigation with Moodle 3.0 - I do not see the Aggregation for the course in the main gradebook displays. When I have to assist faculty with their gradebooks the first item I look at is to see where they have set the Aggregation field. We have been using Weighted Mean of Grades as our go-to aggregation method and it works in most cases, however there are several cases where Simple weighted mean is used and even Sum of grades. I know that there is the new aggregation of Natural but I want to make sure that this will work for us. Is there an easy way in Moodle 3.0 gradebook in the Grades Setup to quickly assess the Aggregation that the faculty has set for the course without having to click through to the Settings?  Thank you for your assistance.

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

Re: Moodle 3.0 Gradebook Aggregation Display

by Mark McKay -

Hi Nancy,

Natural weighting is the assumed aggregation method. If any other method is selected, it's noted in Categories & Items and on the User Report. In Natural weighting, the "natural" refers to the underlying weight of item points divide by total points, where no item's weight is artificially inflated. To change the weight of a category or item, simply check the box, and adjust it to the percentage you want. Note that all categories in Natural redistribute to 100[%].

Simple Weighted Means doesn't transfer as well, since it is, in essence, rescaling a category. There are workarounds to achieve the same thing if it's absolutely necessary.

Mark

In reply to Mark McKay

Re: Moodle 3.0 Gradebook Aggregation Display

by Nancy K Hoke -

Thank you Mark - I was investigating in the Sandbox site. We have not had time to download 3.0 onto the test server - that will probably happen this weekend. I assume that will give me a more complete picture. Thank you - Nancy K.