How do I enroll 200 users to 'Teacher' role?

How do I enroll 200 users to 'Teacher' role?

by Theo Yianni -
Number of replies: 15

As title says... How do I enroll 200 users to 'Teacher' role?

I have been searching for a practical solution but cannot find one.

I have all users in a csv if this helps..

Thank you. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Theo Yianni

Re: How do I enroll 200 users to 'Teacher' role?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Use the upload users option...https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Upload_users

Just add a column for role and use the role id number of your teacher role.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Theo Yianni -

I have tried this.. I get an error that 'role' is not a valid field on my csv.

In reply to Theo Yianni

by Sara Cenni -

Try "role1"

In reply to Sara Cenni

by Theo Yianni -

Just tried this and the role as 'teacher' and 'editingteacher' but as the upload finishes, the Enrollment column is empty and it doesn't appear to be assigning those users to 'teacher' or 'editingteacher' .

Thanks

In reply to Theo Yianni

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you trying to enrol these users into a course?

Theo - I have just noticed that you've posted a similar question yesterday https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=327281#p1315802

Would you like to choose the one you prefer and I will delete the other one, as duplicate posts only fragment the support you may receive smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Theo Yianni -

No. I just want to assign them the editing teacher role so they can edit courses and enroll themselves on to the courses.

In reply to Theo Yianni

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again Theo. As mentioned before, please see Upload users and the section on system roles. 

I see you have started two discussions on the same issue. Duplicating a post only fragments the support you might receive, so please tell me which thread is more helpful to you and I will delete the other one and we can continue the conversation on the one you prefer.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Theo Yianni -

I have read it. It doesn't explain where to give multiple users a role.

I have  a basic standard Moodle install I done the other day. It hasn't been released or edited from the standard installation.

I have imported 200 users. I will now like to apply them to the editing teacher role.

I have created a csv file but it does not assign them the role.

The CSV looks like this:

Username Firstname lastname Email auth role1
user1 name1 last1 email1@email.com ldap editingteacher
Auser2 name2 last2 email2@email.com ldap editingteacher

Please see attached image after I upload the csv.

Attachment moodle.png
In reply to Theo Yianni

Re: LDAP: How do I enroll 200 users to 'Teacher' role?

by Mary Cooch -

hello Theo. I presume you wish to continue the discussion on this thread, so I have deleted the other thread. I understand that the Upload users page deals with manually uploading users to a system role, but your screenshot suggest you are trying to do this with LDAP and I am afraid  I have no experience of LDAP. I am editing the subject title to make it clearer to others what you are looking for. Does the documentation on Ldap authentication and/or Ldap enrolment help at all?

Are you sure you really want to add your teachers as teachers throughout the system? It's not usually a good idea, although I appreciate you may wll have reasons we are not aware of.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: LDAP: How do I enroll 200 users to 'Teacher' role?

by Theo Yianni -

Thank you.

From your experience why would you not suggest giving teachers the teacher role? I will read the LDAP enrolment guide. Thanks.

by Theo Yianni -

How do i check the role id? 

In reply to Theo Yianni

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Go to the roles page in your moodle installation.  If you hover over the edit button, the url that it links to will include the role id.  Normally it is 3.

by Theo Yianni -

Thank you. I tried how ever I get either the same blank enrollment section (attached image) or if I change the column to sysrole1, i get the error 'Unknown role "3"'

Thanks

Attachment moodle.png
In reply to Theo Yianni

by Mary Cooch -

Hello Theo. Regarding not giving teachers the global teacher role, please read the documentation Assign roles

In reply to Theo Yianni

by Emma Richardson -
You have to include the course...without the course, there will nothing to enrol them into...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)