Problem with course completion

Problem with course completion

by Diego Santos -
Number of replies: 9

Hello guys! 

I'm facing a really strange problem with course completion.

I've enabled the option "Enable completion tracking" on a certain course, added the "Course completion status" block, and selected 5 activities to monitoring with various options of "Activity completion" (viewed, manually checked etc.).

Then, for a test, I completed some of the activities with several users.

But, logged as any of the users, none of the activities are shown as completed (as you can check at the image "1.png"), even on the screen of the link "More details" ("2.png"). 

The curious thing: if, as a teacher, I click the "View course report" link and all the responses of the users appears correctly, as you can check at the image "3.png".

Anyone has a clue?

I'm using the latest version: 3.0.2+.

Thanks in advance!

Diego.

Attachment 1.png
Attachment 2.png
Attachment 3.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diego Santos

Re: Problem with course completion

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. The first thing to do is to check in Site administration > Server > Scheduled tasks that the task 'Calculate regular completion data' is running frequently enough, such as every minute.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Problem with course completion

by Diego Santos -

Hi Mary!

First of all, thank you for your prompt response.

I've checked the setting and it's already set to run every minute (marked as "* * * * *").

BUT, there is one point: it's showing "Never" at the column "Last run". I tried to change to run each 2 minutes (*/2 * * * *), but nothing happened.

Please check the attached image.

It seems that the setting is correctly set, but it's not running.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Attachment screenshot_561.png
In reply to Diego Santos

Scheduled task for course completion NOT RUNNING

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again. So it seems you have a problem with cron running. This is not my area of knowledge but I have changed the title of the post to encourage others to respond as well. You can also read the documentation on Cron and Scheduled tasks to troubleshoot the issue.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Scheduled task for course completion NOT RUNNING

by Diego Santos -

Thanks for your support Mary.

Besides that problem, maybe you can help me with another related issue. 

I've some activities set with the Activity completion option "Studens can manually mark the activity as completed".

But, after the students marks an activity as "completed" (check the box), I don't want to allow them to reopen and recheck again. In other words, once the students sets a activity as complete, they cannot change the status.

Do you know how I can do that?

Thanks again!

In reply to Diego Santos

by Mary Cooch -

I don't think you can do that in standard Moodle, sorry. You would have to set completion as automatic not manual. But if you would like others to make suggestions and discuss it further, please start a new forum thread with that subject.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Diego Santos -

Thanks Mary.

In time: about the first problem, I've talked to our Linux support department and they came with a solution, and it worked.

On the server (Terminal), do as follows:

1. Execute "crontab -e"

2. Edit the file, adding the following line in the end of the file:

*/30 * * * * wget -q -O /dev/null http://YOUR_URL/moodle/admin/cron.php

That's it! smile

Thanks again.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Diego Santos

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Diego, Mary had pointed you in right direction in first place (Cron and scheduled tasks pages), if you would have went through, this command is as well mentioned there. I wonder why people take Moodle docs as granted. but anyway, now as your Cron issue is solved thanks for the update and as well re-mentioning the command - I would consider your reply as a proper one with feedback that can as well assist many others.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Diego Santos -

OK Usman, thanks for all the help.

In reply to Diego Santos

by Daniel Aguinaga G. -

Thank you, been of much help.

Besides that, I had to disable the "Cron execution via command line ONLY" entering Site administration -> Security -> Site policies