taskchain conditions

taskchain conditions

by Robert Maran -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Gordon

I am a "heavy" user of task chain for delivering online homework for students. Ideally I would like to see students complete a task chain in synch ( by that I mean a set date) with their course syllabus. However , invariably, a good number of students fail to comply, and end up doing all the required task chains in the last week of the semester. I would like to "reward" those students who do follow a good homework regime and to "penalize" those students who do not follow the homework regime but do complete the required homework by the end of the semester. 

Is there a way to set up conditions so that those students who complete a task chain by the certain date, get the score they do get, but for students who are late, they get the score minus an incurred penalty? So, for example, for every week late a student completes a task chain, their score is "X minus 5 points". 

In the current post-conditions of task chain  I don't seem to be able to find anything like that. If it is not currently possible, do you think this kind of condition would be possible to implement/ add to a task chain?  (or is there a way to do this with the grade book settings?)

Cheers

Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Maran

Re: taskchain conditions

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Robert,
thanks for your post. I like this idea. 

Actually I think ALL activities would benefit from this kind of grading scheme, so ideally I would like to see it available from Moodle core. However, it is not available at the moment, nor is it possible to create a "plugin" for core grading, so for the time-being we need to add as a special feature to TaskChain.

However, I'm snowed under with commitments to several other projects, so this won't happen until I come up for air in early March (2016). I've put a note in calendar, just next to note about allowing the extraction of a chain of "task" files from external repositories such as GoogleDrive and DropBox, in the same way that they can currently be extracted from a "Server files" repository, or a "Legacy course files" repository.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Robert Maran -

Hi Gordon

OK, fully understand your position... look forward to the day that this may be implemented.

Cheers

Robert

In reply to Robert Maran

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Robert,

Since there is no way to do what you want at the moment, you might offer some visual encouragement to get things done by using the Generico Filter countdown timer template posted by Andy Chaplin. It is about the 8th entry down the page in this forum discussion: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=324771