Upgrading to php 7.0.2

Upgrading to php 7.0.2

by Mohamed Abdel-Bary -
Number of replies: 7

I was using MOODLE 3.1 on WAMP server 5.2 64 bit (php 5.4 & Apache 2.4.9). I upgraded to php 7.0.2 according to the instructions at "http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php?2,133667,137513".

The upgrade to php 7 was OK; however, when looking for the MOODLE environment, I found a fatal  error at curl extension. 

I tried to follow the MOODLE documentation instructions to solve the curl problem (https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/admin/environment/php_extension/curl); but I failed.

I tried to upgrade to MOODLE 3.2; but it fails to continue because the curl extension is not working.

Can any one help me?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohamed Abdel-Bary

Re: Upgrading to php 7.0.2

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Bary, have you as well tried rectifying the corrupt curl issue? mentioned HERE.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Mohamed Abdel-Bary -

Yes; I tried to find the file curl-php.dll from [www.mediafire.com]; but it was for the old version of php 5.2 & it did not work. 

I also re-started the Apache & it did not work

by Usman Asar -

OK you MAY have downloaded the NTS (Non-Thread Safe) version of the dll file, there are 2 version of PHP, TS are for Apache, and NTS are for IIS as both web severs handle httpd requests differently, rather than downloading from any third party resource, why not download the PHP from the website and extract he curl-php.dll file.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Mohamed Abdel-Bary -

No; I did use the TS version. However, I'm using windows server 2012 64 bit; does this make sense?

I do not understand the cause of the inconsistency: why there is a check mark in front of the curl extension from inside the WAMP (which means that the extension is OK); while from inside the MOODLE, it is not working.

by Usman Asar -

PHP is processed by web server, so we are talking about Apache and IIS, what runs beneath doesn't matter to use the specific version of PHP, so for Apache its TS and for IIS its NTS.

I couldn't understand if you are already running Server O/S that comes with web server bundled why to use a third party server? using Apache on Linux is understood for match made in heaven, but Apache's performance on Windows server is not up to the mark and in my experience I haven't seen or heard any production server running combination of Windows and Apache. If you want to set up IIS with Windows Server, then I had created a video tutorial not long ago, you can find it HERE.

Check mark with CURL extension does shows presence and enabled extension, but DLL could be corrupt so it may be showing issues, have you as well tried extracting CURK extension from PHP package that is downloaded from php site? If you have already done that and it is not working, then it must be settings for Apache that are playing up.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Mohamed Abdel-Bary -

Yes; you are right; it is the Apache.

I found that the file libssh2.dll (which is present in the root dir of php 7) is not present in the bin dir of the Apache 2.4.9. Just copying this file to the destination folder solved the problem. I found this on the Stackoverflow website.

Thanks a lot.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Usman Asar -

Good to know it worked for you, lets mark your post as useful so other may will get benefit out of it.