Your advice and experience is highly appreciated related to moodle speed

Your advice and experience is highly appreciated related to moodle speed

by zizo zizo -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

Please your advice our great moodle team . I have site serving 13.000 student . Two weeks ago  it is very slow 2 weeks ago i didn't know the reason

Hosting details

• Bluehost company
  • 2CPU cores
  • 2GB RAM
  • 60GB disk

website URL

http://alketabalmasry.com/

I setup cloud fare (free plan)

Please your advice and experience is highly appreciated

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to zizo zizo

Re: Your advice and experience is highly appreciated related to moodle speed

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi,

It's always difficult to provide server specification based on user population but 2 CPU cores and 2 GB RAM sounds inadequate for 13,000 users. I would have thought that 100 users accessing the site simultaneously (e.g. near an assignment deadline) would cause the site to run extremely slowly.

If possible increase this to 4 or 6 CPUs, and 8 GB or 16 GB of RAM. Remember the server has to handle user requests and (presumably) is your database server too.

Depending on the usage patterns (i.e. how many people will be using the site at a single time and the kind of activities they will be performing) this specification may need to be improved further.

In short: you can't really use a free plan to provide a service to 10,000+ users.

Good luck!

Leon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to zizo zizo

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

+1

You don't say what operating system it is (or Moodle version or anything useful really) but if you have everything crammed into 2GB then you've not got much headroom left. 

As has already been pointed out, it's impossible to give you specific advice but what you are running is clearly not enough. What you should be doing is running some sort of monitoring (Munin is easy and useful on Linux) software so you can watch your resource usage. Also,  make sure your web server and your database are properly tuned for the space you have available. 

A very good place to start - Performance

In reply to zizo zizo

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You wrote:
> Please your advice our great moodle team . I have site serving 13.000 student . Two weeks ago it is very slow 2 weeks ago i didn't know the reason
>
> Hosting details
> Bluehost company
> 2CPU cores
> 2GB RAM
> 60GB disk
> I setup cloud fare (free plan)

Not exactly what the great moodle team proposed in April: "Share us your help and experience" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=312488, and you already had trouble in October: "My Moodle is very slow 2 weeks ago" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=321530.

What do you expect from the great moodle team?
wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If I'd known that earlier I would have just got out the "magic wand of performance" big grin

Zizo... please... help us to help you. This is just wasting everybody's time. I assume that (for whatever reason) you have under-specified your sever and you *know* you have. Hoping for a miracle is unlikely to fix it sad

In reply to zizo zizo

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Zizo, Cloudflare can only assist content delivery that is static, where Moodle is dynamic site, you need to invest money in getting higher package, for 13k users on 2GB RAM, how could you even felt confident about that, if CloudFlare would have taken care of things for you, then people wouldn't have invested on setting up server farms to run Moodle.

I remember your site having trouble with opening at users end that is why i recommended cloudflare and it did solved most of the issues where static content was concerned, but when comes database queries then spend some $$$$, I assume you have take their level 1 VPS plan, must have kept eye on resource usage and you shouldn't be asking questions here. If you want to stay with BlueHost, then ask them if your site can be transferred to their cloud sites (package 3 - 6 CPU / 6GB RAM), that would be good enough for your needs for the same price.

In reply to Usman Asar

by zizo zizo -

I want to thanks every one here . I wrote this post  because i follow all your valuable instructions in previous responses of the last two posts and the problem is still . 

Thanks

In reply to Usman Asar

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Usman

In the previous discussion to told the OP that "It has nothing to do with your server performance, but the pipe" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=321530#p1292880. Considering his server specs, "2CPU cores 2GB RAM" for 13'000 users, do you still feel that way?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello Visvanath,

Server performance really shows up when using the site, but when loading front page pipe width really plays important role, and that issue of his at that time was fixed using CF's network considering his loaded front page, as that time before using CF his page size was exceeding 10MB and as of today where CF have replicated site's assets page size is less than 3MB with no change in content, As his user base has increased overtime, so if site is working slow, server resources are to blame now.

I did missed a paragraph in my previous post, for moodle's site is playing up today, that would have cleared everything.