IP addresses used by Moodle's mail servers

IP addresses used by Moodle's mail servers

by Dan OBrien -
Number of replies: 6

I have recently enable some new security rules in my companies email system to prevent spoofed emails from getting into my environment. The second part of this process is creating exceptions to this rule for all of our services which send mail from outside the company but appear to be from someone from within the company. Moodle's notification emails are one example. It is an easy fix but I cannot find the range of IP addresses to allow through. I have searched the web for hours and came up with nothing.

Does anyone know where to get this information?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan OBrien

Re: IP addresses used by Moodle's mail servers

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Are you talking about notifications from moodle.org (in which case they probably dont look like they are coming from inside your company anyway) or are you talking about notifications from your own moodle site - in which case surely the IP address is your own company system where the emails are being generated.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Dan OBrien -

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am talking about the notifications from our own Moodle site but it is not hosted at my location. Would this be my hosting providers IP addresses (Blue Host)?

In reply to Dan OBrien

by Richard Oelmann -

If you look at one of the messages received, then you should be able to trace the message headers to find the originating IP address (in Outlook its 'Message Details' when looking at the message itself - at least it is in the web version of our Outlook in work)

by Dan OBrien -

I can do that but they may use a range of thousands of different IPs. So far I have seen about ten of these messages blocked, all originate from a different IP. I have been adding them like that every time I get one but it may take years to eventually get them all. I will call Blue Host again to see if their IPs match the ones I have been seeing.All of our other services with a similar scenario, I have called their support and they give me the range to allow and its a done deal. I didn't even really know what Moodle was until this morning so I have really been on a wild goose chase with this one. I thought it was an application that had its own support and mail servers but since talking to you, I realize that it is probably just using Blue Host's mail servers.

Thanks for the help.

In reply to Dan OBrien

by Richard Oelmann -

Yep, in that case it will be Blue's hosting IPs and you will need to get them to supply the range you need.

Although Blue Host are the hosts, tehy are probably not actually managing your Moodle instance, so I presume someone in your organisation is (or is paying an external expert to), so you may need to ask around in your own organisation for who is actually managing the company Moodle site smile

If you have access, they are probably listed as a site administrator.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Dan OBrien -
I have admin rights so I can call them. 

Thanks for your help