Authentication using Joomla SQL Database

Authentication using Joomla SQL Database

by Justin Cloete -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All

I have two separate websites hosted on the same dedicated server.

What I am trying to get right is have learners register on our Joomla based site. With the use of the "external database Authentication plugin " I want the users that registered in Joomla to be automatically registered in Moodle but I just can't seem to get this right. I am also using a component in Joomla to capture additional information unfortunately this component saves this data in a different table in the SQL database.

So basically I want to achieve the following:

1.  Automatically create users in moodle based on Joomla SQL user table.
  2. Once I have done that I want it to automatically fill the rest of the info using data mapping based on a different table in the same SQL database.

Here is what my setup currently looks like:

Settings
Host localhost
Database mysqli
Use sybase quotes NO
DB name My database name
DB user My database user
Password Database Password
Table jm_users
Username field username
Password field password
Password format plain text (I do not know what this should be)
External db encoding utf-8
SQL setup command

Debug ADOdb NO
Password-change URL

Any help or advice would be great, I have read the moodle docs on Authentication plugin but it is not helping

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Cloete

Re: Authentication using Joomla SQL Database

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You need to use the Joomdle plugin.  This will actually allow the users to log in on the Joomla site and they will automatically be logged in and account will be created on Moodle site.  There is also a cohort sync that allows you sync Joomla groups with moodle cohorts.  Great plugin - works very well.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Justin Cloete -

HI Emma

Thanks for the reply I have looked at joomdle but it seems like it only allows registration with very basic user info I am needing a way to have student provide us with all the information that we are legally required to have on our database such as previous qualifications, Identity numbers and Documents, ect

When I tried Joomdle it is as though it created the user but did not send the password though to moodle because I could see the user on the moodle user list but could not login with the user, I don't know if I missed something

In reply to Justin Cloete

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think you can create an xml file that will link quite a lot of details across. 

The password should sync - there are some additional parts you need to set up for the password.  Check the Joomdle site for set up.