Lesson Feedback - Essay Questions - Moodle 3.0

Lesson Feedback - Essay Questions - Moodle 3.0

by Alan Taylor -
Number of replies: 7

I would really like to use Lessons on a regular basis but find it a struggle when I include any question that requires a manual response (essay). It serves no purpose to have an essay question if once graded students can't see your feedback. I see there is a block plugin - Lesson Essay Feedback for vers. 2.7 which would be great to have for version 3.0. I suppose I can use the Assignment module but if I'm going to flip my classroom using lessons I want to be able to have students see my feedback.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Taylor

Re: Lesson Feedback - Essay Questions - Moodle 3.0

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Alan,

3.0 has email student with feedback on Lesson essay.   I know, students don't read their email.

Alternative to an Assignment, use a Quiz.  It is not as elegant or self directing as a Lesson. You can put in some content pages, maybe as sort of a review after they have taken their lesson.  Then you can add questions and give the ability to review the quiz after it is closed.  You could set a condition that they have to complete the lesson before the quiz opens up. 

Just some thoughts.

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Alan Taylor -

In our district students have bogus email addresses, so they are listed but aren't really active. This eliminates the email feedback option.  Thanks for your feedback I may try to adjust the quiz per your recommendations.

In reply to Alan Taylor

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Alan,

I am the author of the "Lesson Essay Feedback block" plugin. However, I retired from Moodle development a year ago and no-one has taken up the maintenance of that plugin.

It is really a very small—but IMHO useful—development and should be easy to upgrade to Moodle 3.0.

Any takers?

Joseph

EDIT.- See the Seeking new maintainer page

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Alan Taylor -

I am happy for you on your retirement from Moodle development smile, but sad for me sad. This block plugin was exactly the tool I was looking for. I'm not a developer otherwise I would take on the challenge.  I hope somewhere out in Moodleland someone will take up the gauntlet and adapt it to work with 3.0.

In reply to Alan Taylor

by Just H -

Have you tried installing the block? I just threw it onto a test site I have and it didn't throw any errors...but I don't have any lessons so not 100% sure it works.

In reply to Just H

by Alan Taylor -
Yes, I did try installing it, which installed ok, even showed the block on students login. However, if students clicked on the particular lesson they would get a blank page with an error message (don't recall what the error was).
In reply to Alan Taylor

by Just H -

If I get a chance over the weekend I'll have a further look into it - I am in no way a developer but I'm curious now, who knows, it may just need a couple of small tweaks.