Feedback from different student appearing on grading page

Feedback from different student appearing on grading page

by Chris Pratt -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all

We are experiencing an intermittent issue when grading assignments (Moodle 2.9.1) where occasionally on the grading page the feedback shown for the student is from another student. See the attached screenshot where Daniel's work is being marked but the feedback is for Kai. When I saw this myself in person I refreshed the browser and it went back to the correct student.

I've checked Moodle Tracker but can only find MDL-42306 (which we also have an issue with) but it at least does show the correct feedback for the student shown on the grading page.

I haven't found a way to replicate this wrong feedback showing problem, it seems random at the moment.

Any help appreciated smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Pratt

Re: Feedback from different student appearing on grading page

by Chris Pratt -

Found this in the tracker: MDL-52268 have added my info to it. Fingers crossed for a fix!

In reply to Chris Pratt

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are you totally sure that the teacher did not put the feedback in for the wrong student by mistake?

Also, there is an issue where if the teacher opens the gradebook in multiple tabs, the grading can get confused because it uses rows instead of user ids to identify which grade it is working so if the gradebook gets filtered or sorted in one tab the grading in another tab can get sent to the wrong student...I think it more likely that the bug or error is on the grading input side rather than the viewing side..

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Pratt -

Two reasons why I don't think it is user error:

1. It is happening new this academic year (first year of Moodle with Atto since upgrading from 2.6 in Summer 2015) with at least 5 different teachers who have all used Moodle for 5+ years here with no similar problems previously then no I don't think every time this occurs (which seems pretty frequent from what I gather) it is the teacher has added feedback to the wrong student.

2. Also just tested this with a grading page showing the right student but wrong feedback, and refreshing the browser page shows the correct feedback.

Yes I'm aware of that issue (MDL-42306) but what that relates to is the wrong student being returned from what was expected. I have tested this and we can replicate that error but the feedback box matches the student being graded, even it it wasn't the student the teacher is expecting to grade.

In reply to Chris Pratt

by Phineas Head -

I can confirm that I have seen this behaviour also: it's intermittent but definitely occurs and definitely isn't user error. I don't know what the necessary antecedents are but it feels like something to do with the browser caching the last student's feedback into the current student's feedback area.

Does this issue exist as a ticket yet, or just here as a forum entry?

Is it browser dependant? My gut is that it's happening more with Chrome on Mac OSX , but I wouldn't swear to that.

In reply to Phineas Head

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
There is a tracker item on it.  I believe that it happens when there are two tabs with the gradebook.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Might it be as mentioned earlier in this thread  MDL-52004?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Phineas Head -

Hi Mary, 

I did look at that one, but it appeared to be 'related' rather than the actual issue itself, inasmuch as in our case (and this thread's author's) it is happening without autosave. 

We grade someone, move onto the next person, and the 'old' feedback appears again in the 'new' person's grading screen -- but intermittently. That is, we don't (yet) have a reliable error reproduction process.

Would you suggest we enter this as a new bug?

Cheers,

Phin

In reply to Phineas Head

by Phineas Head -

Answering myself here, it seems to be closer (maybe identical) to MDL-44330 Moreover, there certainly appears to be a constellation of related issues here:

MDL-44330 Assignment opens up the "wrong" student grading form

MDL-42306 Grading assignments - row number logic

MDL-52268 ATTO Editor not purge "not saved" draft

MDL-52004 Atto autosave restores draft for wrong student when grading assignments