Blog Block On All Courses

Blog Block On All Courses

by Steve Thompson -
Number of replies: 4
I would like the blog block to appear in the left hand menu of all courses. Currently I have only two courses. On one the Block Block appears and yet on the other it does not. I will add screen grabs below. I simply can not figure out why this appears on one and not the other

Blog Block

No Blog

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Thompson

Re: Blog Block On All Courses

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I am not real sure you can set blogs up in precisely that way. Blogs can be setup for the world to see or for all the site to see all the entries, or for a blogger to see only their own blog. Mostly though, it has always been my impression that the blog block has to be added to each course. 

Thinking about that...mmmm the possibility of using a course template rears its head here...  The link is to the Moodle Doc about creating course templates, but the docs seem a bit thin. Might try and fill it out a bit. 

In reply to Steve Thompson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Steve. Perhaps you need to add the blog block manually by turning on the editing in the second course and, from Add block dropdown, add teh blog menu block? Or if you would like to know how to make a block "sticky" in every course, have a read of the  Block settings documentation.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

A little further investigation..

. Add the Blog Menu block to the Front Page. Click on the Settings icon and go to "Configure Blog menu block." The default setting of "Display on Front Page only" can be changed to "Display throughout entire site". That might do what you need it to do. Give it a try, see if it does.

EDIT: the Blog menu block added on the Front Page is is now added to all my course pages throughout the site. I guess than answers that question 

Further edit: and after looking at the Moodle Docs Mary suggested... it says the same thing..smile 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Steve Thompson -

Thanks for the replies. I sort of muddled though ( or should I say Muddled though)

I was not able to make this a template driven thing whereby every course got that block. Not sure how I managed to add it to one course and not the other. What I did eventually was to go to each course in turn and add the block and specify in the block settings that it should appear on that page and then gave it priority -10 to make it appear at the top