Quiz Timing Settings Inconsistent

Quiz Timing Settings Inconsistent

by Erin Melvin -
Number of replies: 2

Hello Moodlers, 

I have a confounding issue I could use some help with.  I'm working with a client in a different time zone (3 hours difference from server time).  We've set the location to his timezone with the option to have students choose their own time zone (end users in different locations & zones). 

On a series of quizzes, he's set open and close timing, as well as a time limit. 

His students were reporting being timed out incorrectly, and when we went to troubleshoot the settings in the Timing section we noticed that they were different even though we were looking at the same URL.  We checked three different quizzes on the same course, and all the timing settings were different in each one.

I don't even know how this can be possible.   I've tried changing the time zone on my computer, nothing changes.  I've tried forcing the timezone on Moodle to his timezone.  My settings do not change.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

They are on Moodle 2.8.5

Cheers, 

Erin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erin Melvin

Re: Quiz Timing Settings Inconsistent

by Erin Melvin -

After a bit more digging I found two things: one, the difference in time is designed as such to reflect simultaneous opening and closing times across time zones, and the incorrect difference may be due to setting the location to UTC time rather than the location times as UTC may "behave unexpectedly" with scheduled tasks.  https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Location

If anyone has further information on this, I'm all ears!

Thanks, 

Erin

In reply to Erin Melvin

Re: Quiz Timing Settings Inconsistent

by Erin Melvin -

And, at the end of all this, it appears to have been human error!  

Thanks!

Erin