using icons to link to categories from front page

using icons to link to categories from front page

by Joanna Beaver -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello

I have set up a table in the topic area of the Home Page to link to categories within Moodle 2.9, e.g.

To get the links I went to Site Administration>Manage courses and categories>Right clicked on the category title (in Google Chrome) >Copy link address.

The problem is that when logged in as admin, if I press on a link it takes me to the Course and category management area

If I log in as a student it works fine and shows what I expect it to show. 

Is there a way to get that same view/functionality for admin without going too far into the coding? 

Best wishes

Jo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanna Beaver

Re: using icons to link to categories from front page

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

HI Jo,

I may be wrong but is this due to permission? The students do not have the ability to view categories which in turn instead takes them into the course page.

Are you wanting them to view categories?

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jo -it sounds like you are giving them links such as http://school.demo.moodle.net/course/management.php?categoryid=2 (in other words, you have pasted in the link for admins to manage that particular category) 

whereas you need to give links such as http://school.demo.moodle.net/course/index.php?categoryid=2 (which is just the link for anyone to view a particular category)

If you replace management by index, does it work then?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joanna Beaver -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi 

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes I had used the management link. I have just tried your suggestion Mary and replaced management with index and it works perfectly - thank you so much! smile