[2.9.3] Flowplayer not working

[2.9.3] Flowplayer not working

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

After updating from Moodle 2.9.2 to 2.9.3 the flowplayer stopped working. We are using theme 'Essential'.

When I went back to version 2.9.2 suddenly the flowplayer started working again. I do not know what happened here, but just warning people about it.

Can anyone confirm this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: [2.9.3] Flowplayer not working

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Mee too on Moodle 2.7. I posted the problem to the Moodle-resources forum.
It's about the new params checking in lib/flowplayer/lib.php around line 34.
I don't know why these tests were added (it's about a security ticket) but removing them, the floplayer works again.
Waiting a response from the developers, you can TEMPORARILY comment that code out as follow

//if (!empty($_GET) or !empty($_POST) or !empty($_REQUEST)) {
        //header("HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found");
        //die;
    //}

But it's definitely a temporary hack that can lead to a security hole, so take care and choose for yourself what to do...
In reply to Sergio Rabellino

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Sergio,
please try to find out what is in your $_POST and $_GET variables, one way to do it is for example:

error_log(var_export($_GET, true));

instead of the header and die, then have a look at your error log. There should not be anything in those globals.

Cheers,
Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Sergio Rabellino -

Following your kind response in the other forum post, the problem is into the $_REQUEST that in my configuration carries the site cookies, and the lib.php fires the 404 file not found. $_GET and $_POST are empty arrays.

thanks.

by Damyon Wiese -
Thanks for reporting back - can please say which browser / OS you are testing on? It is not normal that the flash file would have access to site cookies. I tried this with IE8 and IE11 specifically and it worked fine (as well as other mainstream browsers).
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Sergio Rabellino -

I'm testing on Win7 or Scientific Linux7 with FF/Chrome at the latest version on either platforms and IE11 on win. The backend is centos/apache/php.

Please note that the $_REQUEST check is done into the php script which in turns serve the flash, but initially is served as a php, so i believe that it's normal having the cookies set in the php code, where Petr wrote the "broken" if.

i'm wrong ?

by Damyon Wiese -
No it is not normal that the request to load the swf has access to the site cookies. What are the cookies exactly? Have you got some sort of SSO in place ?
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Sergio Rabellino -

The "moodlesession" cookie and others cookies from google analitycs like __utma __utmx , ga and few others  (we don't use GA, but i was not able, until now,  to understand why they are sent to the server).

No SSOs are used.

by Sergio Rabellino -

Ok, maybe i've got it.

Following the suggestion by Skoda, i was missing the php.ini config for

; This directive determines which super global data (G,P,C,E & S) should
; be registered into the super global array REQUEST. If so, it also determines
; the order in which that data is registered. The values for this directive are
; specified in the same manner as the variables_order directive, EXCEPT one.
; Leaving this value empty will cause PHP to use the value set in the
; variables_order directive. It does not mean it will leave the super globals
; array REQUEST empty.
; Default Value: None
; Development Value: "GP"
; Production Value: "GP"
; http://php.net/request-order
request_order = "GP"

Because our php.ini was migrated from time to time between system update/upgrade.

Adding this to our config , the $_REQUEST will be empty, as the cookies will not referenced anymore.

thanks a lot.

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Damyon Wiese -
Thanks for reporting - we have tried to reproduce a problem here and cannot - we tested various web servers etc - and all were working properly so it would be good if you can report back with your POST/GET variables as Petr commented above. It may be something environmental that we can work around.

Things we tested:
slashargs, IIS, Apache on windows, Apache on Linux, url parameters manually set on the link