A user still see all courses in front page even if the "Front page items when logged in" set to "enrolled courses"

A user still see all courses in front page even if the "Front page items when logged in" set to "enrolled courses"

by Miki Alliel -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Translators

Hello

Is this a bug? How can it be fixed?

when setting "Front page items when logged in"  to "enrolled courses" and frn page to non 

s

A user who signed in to the website for the first time without enrolling any course, sees all the courses in the front page instead of seeing non of them.

Is this a bug?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miki Alliel

Re: A user still see all courses in front page even if the "Front page items when logged in" set to "enrolled courses"

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If a user is not enrolled in any courses when they first log in, then they will see ALL courses. As soon as they enrol in one course or are enrolled in one course, then they will only see that course and then any subsequent courses they are enrolled in.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: A user still see all courses in front page even if the "Front page items when logged in" set to "enrolled courses"

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators

I Understand that,

But I think it's not that logic.

If a school doesn't want users to see all courses but only those they enrolled to. how can we set it like that?

In reply to Miki Alliel

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

At my old school they used to enrol students into courses and not allow them to self enrol, so they were automatically enrolled in courses with their new login at the start of the year and so did not see every course. Another alternative I have seen used on these forums is for new users to be automatically enrolled into one course when they user a new account for the first time (using for example the auto enrolment plugin. Then they will only see that once course and can self enrol in others at their leisure. The subject has come up before: I suggest you do a forum search.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators

Ok

Thank you  for the details

do you think it would be useful to add a new issue about that in the tracker?

In reply to Miki Alliel

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I agree with you that it is a pain depending on your requirements. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. This happens until the student is enrolled in at least one course. Once they are, the all courses list goes away and all they see is whatever you selected in the Front Page settings.

Some Potential Solutions

Here are some options to help you get rid of the default All Course listing:

1) Autoenrol all students in a generic welcome/orientation type course. This will get rid of the default All Courses list.

2) Create a custom renderer.php for your theme which would prevent the course list from appearing.

3) Use CSS to hide the listing. The down side of course is that it would actually still be there in the source code and might still appear until the CSS has finished loading.

4) Create a tracker issue for it but be sure to search for an existing one first. Here is a link to help you get started on your search: https://tracker.moodle.org/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22frontpage%20all%20courses%22

Keep in mind that regardless of the solution, even if they can't see the full list of courses, students might still be able to use the Moodle search engine to search and find them if they are made visible. Be sure to test this because they can figure out the URL for the Moodle search engine, they might be able to use it even thought it is not visible.

One sure way to prevent students from finding courses is to make them not visible and the just create a static list of hard coded links on your front page using something like an HTML or label block. However it could then become a management problem if different students get access to different courses.

Hope you find something in this helpful.

Best regards,

Michael

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Milette

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators

Thanks for the solutions