Assign role relative to cohort

Assign role relative to cohort

by Mathieu Pelletier -
Number of replies: 2

Hello All,

I realise that Moodle does not yet support the assigning of roles relative to a cohort.  However, perhaps we can collectively think of a work-around?  

Basically, I have certain administrative personnel who need to oversee a group of students across all their courses.  At the moment, we assign a particular role to the administrator relative to each student whom they oversee.  But this is tedious, particularly where large numbers of students are concerned.  You need to navigate to each student and assign the role over and over again.  It would be desirable in these cases to rather create a cohort for the students and assign the role relative to the cohort.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I did find another older thread asking a similar question, but there were no answers: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=318070.

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mathieu Pelletier

Re: Assign role relative to cohort

by Mathieu Pelletier -
Bump?
In reply to Mathieu Pelletier

Re: Assign role relative to cohort

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

This is where a good SIS system would come in handy. I can see where assigning a role relative to a cohort can make a lot of sense. Maybe open up a Tracker suggestion for this.

Would it work in your situation to make a global role for these school administrators (though they'd see all student data and not just the ones they are in charge of). If privacy of the other student data isn't an issue, then this may be the simplest solution to give them full access to all the information they need (an then some). In our school, our TAs need to keep track of a set group of students each year and we accomplish this by making the TA role a global role. It then really gives them access to all student information, but we've trained our TAs on how to use the global role to meet their needs.