Bar charts for gradebook items and category totals

Bar charts for gradebook items and category totals

by Dominique Bauer -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I found nothing really relevant on the subject, so I am starting a new discussion topic here, though I would be very surprised that the subject has not already been addressed long ago.

Under Quiz administration/ Results/ Grades, a chart of Participants vs Grades is displayed, called 'Overall number of students achieving grade ranges'. Some refered to it as the Quiz attempt chart.

In my opinion, this type of chart is essential to understand the results of a quiz. But it is also essential for other results, e.g. assignments, lessons, category totals and the course total. Yet I have not found how to get these charts, not with the basic Moodle options nor with any plugin. I may have missed how to do this.

Of course, I will download the numerical results and make my own charts. It is not too difficult for example using Excel pivot tables.

However, it would seem to me pretty basic for a software such as Moodle to provide users with a bar chart for each gradebook item and category total as well as for the overall course total, not just for the quizzes.

Best regards.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Bar charts for gradebook items and category totals

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Since no one has answered me, I conclude that bar charts are available only for quizzes. I think that such bar charts for category totals in the gradebook would be very useful to teachers, so I will suggest adding them as an improvement in the Tracker.  I hope that this will be of help to you. Have a good day.
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Bar charts for gradebook items and category totals

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Don't forget to post your tracker here for us to vote/weigh in.

I think Desire 2 Learn is the master in the area of displaying data when it comes to LMS's (meaning the ease of use and multiple built in data representation features -- even a 'what if' grading recalculation tool). Moodle does have many top notch plug ins, such as Configurable Reports (I confess I haven't explored any of them yet) so maybe there is one out there that may give you more data representations that you are looking for. The key is getting them all as part of the standard package (for us non-self-hosted folk)! smile