Transferring student data?

Transferring student data?

by John Leggett -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there,

Bit of a newbie question I guess but I hope someone can help as I need to get this right smile.

Basically, we have an existing Moodle setup on our Virtual Server account with Fasthosts (Moodle 2.6.4+ (Build: 20140821)).  We needed to migrate this to another (Shared Hosting) account with Fasthosts (Moodle 2.9.2+ (Build: 20151023)).

We're making decent progress (despite many config issues!) but my question is exporting users and their grades.

All last weekend I put the existing Moodle 2.6 installation into Maintenance Mode when I transferred the two main folders and the database. However, due to teething problems I had to 'switch back on' the existing Moodle 2.6 installation on the Virtual Server account on the Monday and many students have used the existing site since - so the new Moodle 2.9 site on the shared hosting account only has around 80% of the users, and their result/participation data, in the new database.

My query is how best to ensure that the new Moodle database on the shared hosting is up to date taking into consideration that both installations have different versions of Moodle - I don't want to touch the original installation in any way as it's working!!  However, I am unsure how to export and import the data safely.

The new site by the way is inactive and not accessible by any student.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Kind Regards,

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Leggett

Re: Transferring student data?

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Exporting the old site's database, then clearing and importing it into the new site should allow it to re-upgrade to 2.9 and preserve the user data.

In reply to Bret Miller

Re: Transferring student data?

by John Leggett -

Many tanks for the welcome reply Bret.  Appreciate it.

I guess my 'beginners' concern was that when I was upgrading the new installation of Moodle from 2.6 to 2.9 (on the new shared hosting) I saw the 'update database' button of course and I was worried that if I exported the whole database from the old 2.6 installation (on the virtual server) and dropped the tables/imported into the new 2.9 database, then maybe I would cause some corruption of some sort and break it!

Kind Regards

John