Security recovery plan

Security recovery plan

by dani dani -
Number of replies: 2
Hi all,

I'm trying to start with Moodle and delaying it because I don't feel confident I had all the guarantees I could do a fast rebuild of the system in case of a major crash of the server. This is my plan of backups:

1. Keep a copy of the moodledata folder.
2. Keep a copy of the moodle files folder.
3. Backup a database.

Is that all? An I be sure this would recover instantly the system?
I don't know if things like course backups would be needed for that (i guess all is included in DB).

I'd love to hear about the way you face this.

Many thanks in advance,

Dani

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dani dani

Re: Security recovery plan

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Those are the three items you need to restore a site and you should be fine if you have backups of all of those.

I keep course backups as well just to be completely safe.  They are also useful if you have a problem with a single course or want to recreate them.

In reply to dani dani

Re: Security recovery plan

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Dani,

I think there's nothing like finding out by trying it for yourself. How about migrating a copy of your Moodle + DB to another server/computer? That way you can see what particular needs your particular setup might have, assuming there may be server software dependencies that your Moodle needs. It's easy to lose track of the adjustments we make to servers to make them work how we want them to smile

I hope this helps.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)