Error while uploading scorm zip package

Error while uploading scorm zip package

by Reshma Kamble -
Number of replies: 16

Hi All,

I am getting Message " Error connecting to server" while uploading scorm zip package.  File is around 253 Mb. I have already increased upload limit to 500 Mb. Still not getting why this error coming. Anybody's help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Reshma Kamble

Re: Error while uploading scorm zip package

by Sam Stevens -

Could be a couple of things giving problems.

The best way I have found to get large packages on is to have a repository folder and get the files in there some way (FTP, SMB, etc) direct onto the drive.

Then just use that as a file picker from the repository rather than a file uploader

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Reshma Kamble -

Thank you Mr.Sam, I have already tried using file picker. Its only giving loading image nothing happens after that for long time.

by Reshma Kamble -

My issue resolved. I have increased upload limit at IIS manager through Request filtering . 

Thanks smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Sheick Jaufuraully -

Hi Reshma 

I am having similar problem as i have a package which is about 1.5gb due to high quality videos. (embedding videos isnt really working for me) 

Can you please explain how you have resolved this problem.

Many thanks

In reply to Sheick Jaufuraully

by Reshma Kamble -

Hi Sheick,

Please try below steps.

While uploading if error is coming , increase php site upload limit & IIS upload limit.

To upload PHP site limit

--Go to PHP installed path : e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v5.6

---Open php.ini file and update below line  :

upload_max_filesize = 500M

Increase uploads size in IIS

--- Go to IIS

--- Click on server name at left side

--- Double click ‘Request Filtering’

--- Click on ‘edit Feature Setting ‘At Right side

Change Maximum allowed content length field.  Click on OK button.

by Sheick Jaufuraully -

Hi Reshma

Thank you for assisting, i think this is for localhost. My moodle site is on a web server, do you know this should be changed on a webserver?

Many Thanks

by Reshma Kamble -

Hi Sheick,

The setting is for web server only. My moodle site is hosted at  Windows server 2012 IIS. 

by Sheick Jaufuraully -

Hi Reshma

My site is hosted on a linux server and i am using cPanel, i have updated the php.ini file to increase the max upload filesize. I can see that the change has reflected on my moodle site and now my max upload limit has also changed. When i am uploading the file it is now uploading but finally crashing with the same error message as you got at the end. Is there something else i am missing?

Many Thanks

S

by Reshma Kamble -

Hi Sheick,

Please increase the value for post_max_size & memory_limit parameters at php.ini file.

You may refer below links for further info

http://kb.rolet.com/increase-upload-file-size-limit/

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/7.0/admin_manual/configuration/big_file_upload_configuration.html

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/en/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Sam Stevens -

or as I originally said rather than faffing on with all the PHP settings and potentially creating other problems you could just make a repository folder and the FTP it into that. Then just pick the zip through the picker from the repository.

This is not uploading the file through the picker it is already on the server.

Why make a drama of it?

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Steven Swanepoel -

I had the same issue, tried the FTP method first and it didn't help.

It's a combination of editing max file sizes and input/execution time in .htaccess.

The info from Reshma helped me from this link https://doc.owncloud.org/server/7.0/admin_manual/configuration/big_file_upload_configuration.html 

Thanks so much Reshma!

In reply to Steven Swanepoel

by Sam Stevens -

Did you FTP it into a repository folder? You need to create a repository folder following this here https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/File_system_repository

Then FTP it in and pick it with the file picker. If you do it another way you hit the PHP limit. 

I've uploaded numerous very large modules and never changed any of the PHP or webserver settings as you don't have to if you do it this way. Making these kinds of changes just to get a large module on there is a bad idea as it opens you up to some potential problems (I think there is a form of attack based on this otherwise why limit it in the first place?)

Completely pointless since there is a correct way to do it.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Steven Swanepoel -

Hi Sam, yeah followed that method to the book from that link. It didn't work for me for the larger files. I had multiple SCORM packages ranging from 110mb to 400mb. The 110mb one was fine, I had an issue with the the larger files.

I can't say for certain which change helped, increasing the file size max or input/execution time or both. I changed both and it's working now. You'd think uploading via the FTP would overcome the file size restriction however when I tried to add the SCORM to a course, it would fail relatively quickly compared to the time it took the smaller SCORMs to be processed. If it was failing purely on input/execution time then it's reasonable to think it would fail or succeed at roughly the same time. That's why I think max file sizes might also play a role. 

In reply to Steven Swanepoel

by Sam Stevens -

The PHP time settings might have something to do with it as I think moodle inspects the package to check it is all right and does some other things with it.

However my upload limit is only at 20M and all of my packages are bigger than that. Changing that should make no difference at all if you use a repository as you aren't using the PHP upload method then.

If you are using the values in that link then I would scale back quite a bit. You are giving any PHP script up to 60 minutes (!) to run with those settings. Nothing should ever take that long and is a security risk. I'm currently at 180 and that works just fine. 3 minutes should be more than enough for anything moodle has to do.