Moodle Authentication Figures

Moodle Authentication Figures

by Katherine Davies -
Number of replies: 4

I'm trying to work out for a project how accessible Moodle is by trying to see how many of the 64761 sites require authentication.  I have emailed Moodle, but had no response. Does anyone have any idea how to find out such information?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Katherine Davies

Re: Moodle Authentication Figures

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Katherine. Just to let you know I deleted your duplicate post because if you post in more than one forum, it fragments any support you might get. There is actually a forum dedicated to usability and accessiblity if you would like me to move this thread there?

I don't know which email you used for emailing Moodle, but I'm not sure how we would find out which sites require authentication (but I'm not the statistics person anyway!) However, I would suspect most of them do - because without authentication, Moodle is simply another website. If you view Moodle courses without being logged in (authenticated) then that is all you can do - view them, read the information, etc. As Moodle is a VLE/LMS, it requires people to have accounts to be able to access activities, participate and handle sensitive materials. (As you can see from our Mission, Moodle is 'open in every way but can be private'.)

There is a lot of work going on regarding accessibility so feel free to ask more and explore the documentation (example: Accessibility) and forums more.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Katherine Davies -

Hi Mary,

Please could you move it over to the dedicated usability and accessibility forum, and my apologies for cross-posting. 

I was wondering whether the statistics that are collected by the registration process contain any information about how many installations require authentication when accessing pages.

In reply to Katherine Davies

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Done smile  You have now moved forums. Perhaps you can explain why it is important to know about which sites require authentication when researching accessibity?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Katherine Davies -

The reason why I'm interested to know is that while Moodle is a global information environment as a platform and in principle (i.e accessible from any location with an internet connection), that it is not necessarily globally accessible to all users e.g. if sites are requiring authentication through LDAP etc. then there are restrictions are in place that make it 'less' accessible. 

While I'm aware that a lot of this comes down to sites being run by universities and that as a result of this they aren't going to make teaching material free when they are simultaneously charging students, and also restrictions on copyright across countries. 

Background: I'm writing an essay on “The prospect of a paperless, global information environment arriving is about as likely as that of the paperless office – thank goodness!” Do you agree? Discuss the technical and social considerations and constraints on both the feasibility and desirability of such a scenario. Present evidence both for and against this assertion, and argue your own point of view. 

- I hope this helps shed some light