Repair my quiz

Repair my quiz

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 4

I created a  quiz of 60 questions of one point each.  When I went in to check the student responses, the scoring was capped at 10 points.  I had neglected to change the setting.

Now that the quiz is over, how to I change the max points?
And what is the purpose that that setting anyway?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: Repair my quiz

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I fixed it myself by just going in and making the change.  I guess I did not see it the first time due to a  slow internet loading

Meanwhile, why is this even an option?  Why does it not automatically set to the number of questions?  From there, one can change it but it would prevent this problem in the first place.

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Some teachers want to give each question a 'Weight'. Rather than every question get 1 point, they give some questions 5 (Marked out of..), some as 3. Then the "Total of marks" will be any number like 13 or 31. Now, if you give the 'Maximum grade'  to 10, Moodle will calculates and convert every student's grade to a percentage of 10. It is so easy and clever. As Steve said, you can change the 'Maximum grade' any time, the grade book will reflect your change instantly.

You can get same results by using the 'Multiplicator' , or use the 'Weight', or use 'Total Calculation' in Grade book.

The problem is Moodle has too many functions to do the same thing.

For me, I misunderstood the 'Maximum grade' at first. I thought if someone got 13, someone got 31, both will be capped to 10. Actually, one will get (13/31=42%) 4.19 points, one will get (31/31=100%) 10points.

It might be less confuse if the word: 'Maximum grade' can be changed to 'Weight'.

This is just my thought.

In reply to William Lu

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I would like to let the students select 50 out of 60 questions.
Each question is worth 5 points.
50 questions answered correctly = 250 points.
51 to 60 correct should not add any more points.

Can this be done?

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Steve,

When I read the word: "Maximum grade", I was thinking the same----Capped. 

Actually, it only 'Scaled' (I used the word "Weighted" in my last reply). Every question is counted. If student missed any, they won't get the "Maximum grade".

Our teachers have the same request as yours. They prepared 15 questions, as long as a student can get 10 corrects, they can get the "Maximum grade"=10.

Anyone knows how to set it up?

Thanks