Reduce vertical space in More theme?

Reduce vertical space in More theme?

by Phuong Hoang -
Number of replies: 11

Hi everyone, 

I've spent for hours using firebug to find out how to reduce vertical space in MORE theme, but I failed. I'm grateful if someone should help me how to reduce vertical space. Have a look at the picture, plz!

Many thanks in advance,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phuong Hoang

Re: Reduce vertical space in More theme?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There wont be a single rule, so you will probably need to go through each instance (or at least each type of instance - e.g. H1, H2, H3, text input boxes, buttons, etc) using something like firebug or chrome developer tools and reduce the padding/margins as appropriate.  (or at least as you want them)

In reply to Phuong Hoang

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

The More theme does not set the styles for the form page you refered to, this is set in Moodle via the BootstrapBase theme. Here is a link to the form.less file where you may find some answers to your question of how to reduce vertical space. 

Start off by looking for margin-top or margin-bottom.

https://github.com/lazydaisy/moodle/blob/master/theme/bootstrapbase/less/moodle/forms.less

Mary

In reply to Phuong Hoang

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I know that sometimes little things can be "big" things.

I use MORE and have made quite a few modifications via CSS code in the normal customization page.  I did tighten things up a bit, but not on the screen that you are showing.  Quite honestly, since this screen is typically seen by students once or twice, I wouldn't put my effort into improving it.  I would put my effort into screens that students see every day.  Take this as only a suggestion, not trying to be critical of what you are trying to achieve.

Let me know if you want to have my current CSS code.  You can get a glimpse of my moodle (front page) right here.  If needed, I might be able to add you to my MoodleCloud (experimental) course for you to navigate as a student would.  I have tried to make my moodlecloud course look like my production server (and it really does.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Phuong Hoang -

Hi Rick,

I agree with you that signup page can be seen by students once or twice. You misunderstand what I mean; I'd like to reduce vertical space of my entire site. The screenshot's just one example. In fact, I'm using a lot of css from you, Mary, Richard Oelmann and others. I'd like to use default theme because I can't catch up with the change of moodle newer version. In some cases, my favorite theme can't be upgraded in time. Honestly, I did love "Liven" theme supported for moodle 2.4. At the time, I stayed moodle 2.4 because of that theme. Personally, I think we should have a standard/default theme with fewer files and easier to customize. The two standard themes; Clean and More themes have a lot of files and not easy to customize.

In reply to Phuong Hoang

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Further to my last comment here is the CSS you might like to try.

body#page-login-signup #region-main .mform:not(.unresponsive) .fitem .fitemtitle { margin: 0;}
body#page-login-signup #region-main .mform:not(.unresponsive) .femptylabel .felement { margin: 0;}
body#page-login-signup #region-main h2 { margin: 0;}
body#page-login-signup legend.ftoggler { margin-bottom: 0;}
body#page-login-signup .collapsible-actions { float: right;}
body#page-login-signup .form-item .form-description, .felement.fstatic { margin: 0; padding-top: 0;}
body#page-login-signup #fitem_id_username,
body#page-login-signup #fitem_id_password,
body#page-login-signup #fitem_id_username .fitemtitle,
body#page-login-signup #fitem_id_passwprd .fitemtitle { margin: 0; padding: 0;}
body#page-login-signup input[type="text"],
body#page-login-signup input[type="password"]{margin: 0; padding: 6px; line-height: 1; height: 10px; vertical-align: middle;}
body#page-login-signup #region-main .mform:not(.unresponsive) .femptylabel .felement { margin: 0; padding: 0;}
body#page-login-signup form-item,
body#page-login-signup .mform .fitem { margin: 0;}

I did it just to see how hard it really was to find. Took me quite a while approx 45 minutes. smile

I hope it solves your problem?

You can add it to the More custom css settings page:

Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > More (settings)

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Phuong Hoang -

Thanks Mary a lot,

It works like a charm. Thanks for your help and your enthusiasm!heart

As I said in the the picture, I'd like to reduce vertical space of entire site - not only the signup page. Anyway, thank you once again. I'll try to figure other parts out from your suggestions.

Have a nice weekend,

In reply to Phuong Hoang

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Phuong, glad that you are making progress.

Make sure to try your site from your smartphone.  You have to be careful going too tight.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Phuong Hoang

by Mary Evans -

OK...in that case to make the CSS global just remove body#page-login-signup from each line of CSS

so that every form where that css applies will reduce the margins in those areas.

Headers have margins so you could add this too:

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { line-height: 1; margin: 0; padding: 0;}

Which should help! LOL

If you get stuck on something let me know and I;ll see if I can help out again!

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Phuong Hoang -

Hi Mary,

It's very kind of you to say "If you get stuck on something let me know and I;ll see if I can help out again!".

Yeah, It works. However, It makes some areas messy. Maybe we should only set margin-top/ bottom and padding top/bottom to 0px.

Have a look at the screenshot, plz!

In reply to Phuong Hoang

by Mary Evans -

lol...yes you are right...

In reply to Mary Evans

by Phuong Hoang -

Hi Mary and everyone,

Can you help me customize the profile page? My profile page looks like this;

I'd like the avatar on the left and full name and other information are on the top right.

- I'm using moodle 2.8.7+ and MORE theme.

Thank you in advance,