Raise Hand to Chat feature

Raise Hand to Chat feature

by John Turner -
Number of replies: 1

We're looking to add functionality to the existing chat feature in Moodle.  We currently use 2.5 but are looking to upgrade to 2.9 in the coming months.  

What we envision is a feature that would allow a hand raise by a person, creating a DING, perhaps putting a "1" next to their name to signify the order in which they raised their hands.  Once they were done, it was clear as to who had the floor for the next question.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on implementing this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Turner

Re: Raise Hand to Chat feature

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John,

Sorry, I don't know how to get what you are asking for, but since I get the impression you are asking students to volunteer to answer a question, I do know of another possible way of asking questions where you don't need to worry about who "raised" their hand first. If possible, install and use the Realtime Quiz add-on. Also, when you upgrade to a Moodle 2.6 or higher, you can use Active Quiz. https://moodle.org/plugins/search.php?s=realtime+quiz&search=Search+plugins

The advantage of these two add-ons is that ALL students need to answer and can do so without anyone seeing or hearing their answer, which could cause them to be embarrassed.

HTH,

AL