New type of submission: web link

New type of submission: web link

by Jacques Monnard -
Number of replies: 7
While I find the two current types of assignments useful, I would suggest a third kind of submission, i.e. a web link.

We are currently using Moodle for a course where students have to build web pages. Now to submit their work, they have to create a "dummy" HTML page containing only a link to their web site, and submit it as their assignment. But this is quite cumbersome, and the ability to submit their link directly would be very useful.

This could also be used in other cases, e.g. if the assignment consists in finding a web page on the Internet.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jacques Monnard

Re: New type of submission: web link

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
AFAIK, in the near future (1.2?) assignments will have a new type, online assignment, which will be based on the current jurnal module. Then, students will be able to type a web link as their submission and, if they choose "Moodle auto-format", the url will automatically be turned into a hyperlink.

Edit: I think this new type of assignment might appear in Moodle 2.0 (together with blogs), but to be sure you'd have to ask Martin.
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by John Windmueller -

I just thought I'd give a big cheer (less useful than coding, but hey, we do what we can) for the notion of adding a blogging module.  I often used journals as regular assignments, but a blog format would encourage students to read each others' reflections, make linkages where useful, etc.--a nice blend of both community and private space that you get from the blog format, which can't be easily mimicked via the private journals, the workshop module, or forums. 

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Ger Tielemans -
Would be nice if a student delivers a weblink, the fill-in-form also asks for an annotation. (Why is this link of interest in this course etc..)

by Les Lusk -
As another faculty member teaching web development using moodle, I second the concept of being able to turn in a URL as an assignment.  That would make my life a wee bit easier...
In reply to Les Lusk

by Ger Tielemans -

I would prefer to have storage-room for students inside Moodle not outside.

• Nicer implementation would be a workspace where you/the student can choose sharing or not.
  • an extra shared student directory - like the teacher has now for his own - would be great.
  • Teachers wish is then to have the option for students to set "temperary hide" for files and directories. (I would love to see the closing eye here also..)  

by Bob Calder -
Nice idea. I didn't even ask my students to submit links. I'm soooo dumb. What I like is the idea that since they are *comminicating*, all of the web pages should be accessible to the entire class. To that end, I was thinking that an editable webpage like a WIKI would allow users to post links. What I HAVE been doing is to create a page myself with all the links in it. I have fifty or sixty items to check off the assignment and could use the students help.
In reply to Bob Calder

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I use the glossary-module to collect links on the given subject: students are allowed to add entries: the concept is the title off the webpage, in the definition comes the http://www... (oh hyperlink of course, we use the English word too) and a brief description of the site.
Still waiting for the grading on glossary so I can reward the search-work and the efford of sharing it with the group. At the moment they keep it too themselves gemengd gevoel