New role assign user with all permission not able to see/edit course

New role assign user with all permission not able to see/edit course

by Nishant Pandya -
Number of replies: 8
Hi guys !! I am using moodle 2.9. I have create a another role called Sub Admin. And I have provided all the permissions & assign this role to a user. But after login using that user & when  I click on Site administration -> Courses -> Manage Courses & Categories. I can see only Category & I have permission to manage category & creating course. But I don't have any permission to View Course, Manage Course & Edit Course.

What is the issue is this. Is only admin can see the course & edit the existing course. Please help me guys. I want a role of type administrator but with some limited permission i.e. Create course, Edit existing course, Manage Course & category.

I am totally stuck in this part. Please help me guys. 

Thanks,

Nishant Pandya

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nishant Pandya

Re: New role assign user with all permission not able to see/edit course

by Nishant Pandya -

Guys Please Help Me. I am in a trouble. Please help. I have search lots of things. Also check the permissions but not getting any result.

by Nishant Pandya -

Hey !! Anyone know any thing related to this. Please reply. I am in big trouble.

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi,

I am facing the same issue. I have dubug the code and I came to know that for custom site admin there are no courses & for admin there are two course that's why its showing "No course found".

Is this any permission issue? I have created course using Admin & I want to enroll users by custom admin.

Please reply soon.

Thanks,

Nidhi

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
First,  I'm going to say this...really?  Three posts  in under two hours?  Sometimes it takes days (or even weeks) to get responses.

Now, on to your question.   You have not identified  where  the role was  assigned  or what  version  you're  using.  This is important.  And you haven't said what permissions you set up (which role did you use for the template?), just that you set them all, which is unrealistic, as no role has all permissions.   Things are  not  the  same between  versions  in many cases.   Without this  info,  I would  guess you either didn't set those particular permissions or have assigned the role  in the wrong place. 

It isn't really clear what you want and how you want to use it.  It sounds like a site role (how  is it different from Manager?).  Who is the role for and what do you want them to  do  and where? 

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi Melanie,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have created a custom roll name as "Site Admin" I want to assign him permission so that he can enroll users for courses. But When I login through "Site Admin" & click on category it shows "No courses for this category". I am unable to find what I have missed I have checked all the permission but still not getting the way.

Please help me to fix this asap, I will be very thankful to you.

Thanks,

Nidhi

In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by Nidhi Tiwari -

I am using Moodle 2.9

In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This is going to be a bit long as it sounds like you're talking about three different things. 

First, is accounts.  Unless I misunderstand what you're saying, your Site Admin is not a role, it is an account (I say this because you said you login to it...that's what you do with accounts).  Just because you name it Admin doesn't give it site permission.  By default, every one is Authenticated User which has permission to only view/enroll/participate where applicable. 

Second, what do you want the account to be able to do (role)?  If you have created a custom role, great, if not, it sounds like Manager might do just fine (unless you don't want them to be able to create accounts, courses, etc...) and I've added directions for adding a person to the system roles list (below).  If the role you want doesn't appear on the system listing, you can add it or you can customize a current system role.  Student and Teacher are not considered system roles and I do not recommend adding them but you can (you do this by editing the role and checking the system box).

Third, I think you're either talking about a) the My Home (Dashboard? in 2.9) page or b) you're going to a category where there are no visible courses.  A) My home is when you login to a new account, no courses are assigned to it unless you explicitly enrolled the account in a course or courses before the login.  System roles (and category) mean you can access accounts without being enrolled.  You would need to search for the course(s) you want to work on.  B) If the problem is visible courses in category, the role that account is assigned may not have permission to view hidden courses.

When you create a new account, if you want it to have site permission, you have to tell the system.

In Site Administration (from an account with actual Admin or Manager permissions already assigned), go to Users->Permissions->Assign system roles.  Click the role you want a particular account to have.  Search for the account on the right, select it and click Add.

So, here is my example: 

I have people who need to be able to enroll staff, request courses, add content to courses, view all courses on my site and have access to them, view grades and reports and view courses from other roles' perspective (like participant). 

I created a role called SD Professional (Staff Development) as a System and Category role.  It allows all these things and some more...like viewing hidden courses.  It is not a graded role and doesn't allow real participation in most activities (quizzes can be completed, but only as a preview and doesn't ever show up in grades). 

I assigned all the specific staff accounts to that role at the system level. 

They can now request courses and view any course on the site.  If they want to enroll users or add enrollment methods, they switch their role to Teacher and engage in those tasks.  If it is a course they generally control (we have courses for all staff and courses for specific sites...site staff control their courses, I control the all staff courses), they can explicitly assign themselves the Teacher role.  And they can see hidden courses.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Nishant Pandya -

Thanks Melanie Scott. Thanks for giving us your valuable time. I have solved my issue.

Thanks,

Nishant