How to upload my badges earned during Learn Moodle course into my profile at Moodlecloud account?

How to upload my badges earned during Learn Moodle course into my profile at Moodlecloud account?

by Murugesan R -
Number of replies: 32

Dear Sir or Madam,

Good evening (PT)!
I would like to upload my earned badges in Learn Moodle course into my profile at MoodleCloud account.
I tried doing this with Mozilla Backpack and with openbadgepassport, yet I'm at a loss doing this!
Would appreciate your help asap.

Regards,
Dr. R. Murugesan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Murugesan R

Re: How to upload my badges earned during Learn Moodle course into my profile at Moodlecloud account?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello - I have moved your post to the Badges forum and hopefully you will get a response here. I am not an expert on openbadges as I don't really use them but I believe you need the same account on Learn Moodle as you have for your Moodlecloud account. Email account, I mean. Then connect your Learn Moodle email account to the Mozilla backpack and upload your badges. When you sign in on your MoodleCloud with that email you should see a place in your profile where you can display badges from other sources.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: How to upload my badges earned during Learn Moodle course into my profile at Moodlecloud account?

by Murugesan R -

Thank you Ms. Mary for your prompt response.

I was wondering why my post suddenly disappeared! smile

I did exactly the same, and many times, as you suggested; but could not succeed so far!

At my Moodlecloud account, Site administration>Badges>Add badges, the following are fields marked * as required:

Name, description, image, Issuer details.

I can't figure these out either account in Moodle or at Mozilla backpack; I wonder why such should be made so cumbersome!

Thanks for your support, anyways!

Regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As far as I understand it, once you have signed in to MoodleCloud with the same email address as you have on your Learn Moodle account, you go to the user menu top right > Preferences >Badges >  Manage badges and you will see the link My badges from other websites. Click the link "Add collections" and follow the instructions there.  You are basically importing your badges from Mozilla open badges.

Hopefully you will get a clearer answer from a badges expert smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Murugesan R -

Thank you Ms. Mary for your suggestions.

I followed your guidelines. All my 3 badges are promptly displayed at Mozilla backpack site!

Yet, even with the few buttons, I could not succeed. Under Badge Import Settings, I get the following prompt:

There are no public collections of badges available in your backpack.

Only public collections are shown, visit your backpack to create some public collections.  

I'm stuck as before!

I suspect the whole setting at Moodlecloud site is only for badges earned therein (to be shuffled back and forth at Mozilla backpack, and not for badges earned elsewhere, including the ones from the recently concluded Learn Moodle MOOC); wonder whether any of my course colleagues succeeded in porting the earned badge(s) to their own Moodlecloud site!

Regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Mary Cooch -
Did you create a public collection of your badges on the Mozilla backpack as it suggests? You need a public collection in order to display them on any Moodle site. I don't think Moodlecloud is any different.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Murugesan R -

I can see the 3 badges displayed at the link:

https://backpack.openbadges.org/backpack

When I visit under "Preferences">Backpack settings, I still get the prompt

There are no public collections of badges available in your backpack.

Only public collections are shown, visit your backpack to create some public collections.

Where am I going wrong??

In reply to Murugesan R

by Simon Coggins -

Have you shared the collections via the backpack? As the message says only public collections are available in Moodle.

Simon

In reply to Simon Coggins

by Murugesan R -

Thanks for your response, Simon.

I tried many times; don't know where I'm going wrong or exactly how to create public collections at Mozilla packpack, though all the 3 badges are sitting solid there!

Regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Simon Coggins -

You have to check the "public" checkbox in the bottom left corner of the collection:

by Murugesan R -

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your prompt response to my request.
Unlike so many (including me), you are able to explain pictorially!

Alas, all that you've suggested I've done a dozen times! 
NOTHING HAPPENED so far as fetching my badges from the backpack to my profile at Moodlecloud!

Regards,
Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Mary Cooch -

So now you have a public collection and you can connect to your backpack on your MoodleCloud site, what is the error message you are getting now?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Domenico Recchia -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Mary,

Actually I also have display problems on the badges, I just uploaded Mooc those of 2015.

This is the message that I presented on the screen.

I checked on mozilla backpack and it's all ok (the collections are public). I also tried to make a new registration but even this is not able to communicate with moodle (the error message is identical).

Backpack settings

You could not be connected to an external backpack for the following reason: The data return from the backpack was invalid.

In reply to Domenico Recchia

Problem displaying openbadges on MoodleCloud

by Mary Cooch -

Ok Domenico - I also tried and got that message. I found a (resolved) tracker issue from a while back MDL-49669 Hopefully the MoodleCloud developers will see this after the weekend and take a look.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Problem displaying openbadges on MoodleCloud

by Murugesan R -

The reported problem still continues...

Can anyone inform soon after fixing the problem for normal functionality?

Thanks and regards,

Dr, R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Ted Kopp -

Hi Dr. R, Dom, and Mary:

This problem is not limited to MoodleCloud - I am in moodle.org, and my attempt to link to Mozilla Backpack is still responding with 

You could not be connected to an external backpack for the following reason: The data return from the backpack was invalid.

Mozilla Backpack itself is working OK now, so the problem may be with the connection to Moodle.

I just now tried this with my MoodleCloud site - same exact error message!

Hope this helps.

Thanks - Ted

In reply to Ted Kopp

by Mary Cooch -

Thanks Ted; it does help. I have reported it here MDL-51390

Dr R Murugesan, with relation to your comment  The reported problem still continues...

Can anyone inform soon after fixing the problem for normal functionality? please bear in mind that it is the weekend  and HQ developers work from Monday to Friday. (So do I, although I like to peruse the forums.)

In terms of how soon things get fixed, this depends on the complexity and gravity of the issue and the workload of the developer dealing with it. Of course, Moodle being open source is a wonderful advantage because it means any developer can volunteer a 'fix' for a problem and offer it to Moodle. Such welcome 'fixes' then need to be tested by HQ to ensure they will work correctly and then they can be added to the  next versions of Moodle.

When you have time and inclination, there is a page on the Moodle developent process which is useful and which contains a useful diagram.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Simon Coggins -

I had a look into this. Looks like 3 days ago Mozilla made a change to force one of the API calls to be over https:

https://github.com/mozilla/openbadges-backpack/commits/master

which for some reason seems to have broken the API call.

A temporary fix (and potentially the correct long term fix) is to change this line:

https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/badges/backpackconnect.php#L90

$check->backpackurl = 'http://' . BADGE_BACKPACKURL;

to:

$check->backpackurl = 'https://' . BADGE_BACKPACKURL;

(https instead of http).

I'll comment on the bug.

Simon

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Murugesan R -

Dear Ms. Mary,

I appreciate your prompt response and for initiating action quickly to fix the reported problem.

The integration workflow tracker as part of the Moodle development process appears very rugged and so it would take some time to fix any bug following the intricate process flows. I was never intending to push the developer, as the issue is not so critical; all I wanted was an acknowledgement/feedback to the person who raised an issue. No one will expect an immediate solution to any problem reported.

Thanks again for sparing your valuable time during the weekend too smile

Best regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Ted Kopp -

Thank you Mary from me, too, for following up on this and posting the problem on Tracker.

Encountering this problem was perhaps a good thing - I started learning how to get around the Moodle.org forums and the the Moodle documentation, as well as learning about the Tracker system, which I didn't even know existed! Maybe these topics could be covered in a Teaching with Moodle "102" course!

In reply to Murugesan R

by Murugesan R -

Dear all concerned,

The issue raised by me is not such a serious or urgent one! Yet, timely resolution or formal communication on what is being done is expected at this site of high repute.

I'm surprised that no official (except for the response and feedback from Ms. Mary) from Moodle.org acknowledged/responded positively on how to resolve the issue that I have been raising for a week now.

From the operational point of view, it looks very simple and straight forward at the Mozilla backpage site.

I followed the guidelines to port my 3 badges easily from Mozilla backpack domain to Open Badge Passport domain; it works just fine without any hassles. 

=======

To import badges from Backpack, badges have to be placed to a public Collection (group). If your badges are not in a public Collection, please follow these instructions:

1. Please login to your Mozilla Backpack.
  2. Go to Collections page and drag the badges you want to import under any of the collections.
  3. Check "public" checkbox for the collection.
  4. Click "Import badges from Mozilla Backpack" button below.
Your imported badges will appear at My badges page. You can delete unwanted badges at My badges page in badge Settings.

=======

Not only that, with relative ease, I could port my badges to my LinkedIn profile too!

In the light of the above, in my view, there is some serious issue here at Moodle developer domain requiring fixing of related non/dysfunctional plug-in. I would appreciate an early fix and feedback at this column.

Thanks and regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

by Murugesan R -

Hi Dr. Simon,

Good afternoon (PT)!

I've been tracking on the progress towards a solution to the bug/issue reported. Still, I get the prompt:

I'm aware of the Moodle process to address and fix issues raised. Just wanted to know from experts like you whether this problem is so complex taking time to fix. It's sheer an academic query not that this matter is so urgent or serious smile

Best regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Simon Coggins -

You will need to wait for some activity on the bug. To follow progress you can "watch" the tracker issue here (you may need to make an account):

The last Moodle point release just happened (14 Sept) so unfortunately it will be 4-6 weeks before the next release (that will likely include the fix). If you can't wait that long you could manually make the change to the code that I outlined here on your own site and it should fix it for you:

Simon

by Jordan Tomkinson -

Today we rolled out the patch in MDL-51390 to MoodleCloud. You should find your site can now view the badges correctly

In reply to Jordan Tomkinson

by Murugesan R -

Dear Mr. Jordan Tomkinson,

Thanks for your communication.

Sorry, the problem persists even at this moment, with the prompt

"There are no public collections of badges available in your backpack" 

while in fact, my badges in backpack are quite in order for public view.

This is not a complaint, but a feedback for your processing in due course of time; I appreciate the works of Team at Moodle for serving the fraternity so wonderfully.

Regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan 

In reply to Murugesan R

by Mary Cooch -

Hello. I just checked on my MoodleCloud account and this is what I did:

I went to the user menu > Preferences >Badges >Manage badges and connected to an externa back pack with my email. You would need to use the same email as for Learn Moodle to get your badge. Then once signed in I saw a section Badge import settings with the name of my public collection on Mozilla. So I ticked that and saved and my badge is now displayed. I notice there is a message with a link to visit your backpack if you need to make a collection public, in order for it to display on this page. If you are having difficulty with this , perhaps you can make a screenshot of your public collection page on Mozilla backpack page so we can confirm it is a public collection -and then you would need to contact Mozilla, as I think the issue on Moodle's side is now resolved.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Murugesan R -

Thanks for your communication, Ms. Mary.

I took a screenshot of Mozilla Backpack showing my badges marked public. I saved this file both in .jpg format (220KB) and in .png format (704KB). I am unable to upload either of these 2 files as I get the following prompt:

The file Mozilla backpack screenshot for Moodle badges.png is larger than the maximum size allowed.

What is the file size limitation at this site for attachment? Certainly, it is an experience of sorts in handling such a basic aspect!

Regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Mary Cooch -

500KB - try the first one again, the JPG and if it doesn't work, email it to me and I will put it onto this forum.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Murugesan R -

Thanks for your prompt response, Ms. Mary.

I tried to upload the screenshot file of 220KB size in .jpg format; nope, it won't go with the same prompt!

I have sent the 2 files with my mail to you; hope you would receive my mail with attachments in order smile

In reply to Murugesan R

by Mary Cooch -

Here is the image:

Attachment unnamed.jpg
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

I am not very familiar with openbadges so I can't help in that respect. All I can suggest is why not move all three badges into one single collection and rename the collection Moodle Badges -and then see if is available in your profile on MoodleCloud?

In reply to Murugesan R

by Yuliya Bozhko -

Hi!

Could you try disconnecting and connecting your backpack again? Maybe also make sure that email in your backpack (from screenshot) matches the one you are signing in with.

I just tried retrieving badges on my local install and was able to see all public collections.

Yuliya

In reply to Yuliya Bozhko

by Murugesan R -

Dear Ms. Yuliya,

Good evening (IST)!

I am about the complete my Teaching with Moodle (Jan2016) course.

I continue to face the same problem that I faced in August-September 2015 NOT ABLE TO UPLOAD my earned badges available at Mozilla Backpack.

Can you please spare a few minutes to guide me to resolve this issue?

Thanks and regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan