Need to Import Class and I'm Lost!

Need to Import Class and I'm Lost!

by John Kramer -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, Moodle forum!

Hopefully someone can help me, I am out of ideas. 

I work for the county education office, where we have a Moodle server (running 2.6) for area schools to use. In one of my local high schoools, a teacher is teaching a university course that she was given the course on a thumb drive for Moodle. No directions were provided, but the file is broken down by chapter, has many .dat files and .xml files, and I thought it would just import into Moodle.

I cannot find the options/settings to import this course straight into Moodle. I appreciate any ideas or directions to get this course set up. 

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Kramer

Re: Need to Import Class and I'm Lost!

by John Kramer -

On another forum, I have found what I believe to be the correct sequence I need, but I don't have the Course Upload option in our Moodle system. 

The first picture is the one I found online. The second picture is my actual Moodle interface. 

Attachment Moodle.JPG
Attachment My Moodle.JPG
In reply to John Kramer

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello John. First of all - the link you see is not the link you want anyway so don't worry about it. 

I have a suspicion that the course she has given you is a SCORM package course (but I might be wrong). I suggest you do the following and then we can see:

Make a new course in that site. Go into the course and turn on the editing. From the link 'add an activity or resource'  choose SCORM and then upload the whole, zipped folder. Don't unzip it. There are more instructions here: SCORM settings

If that doesn't work then feel free to come back and ask for more help. You could also say what the file extension is as that helps. Is it .zip or is it .mbz?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Kramer -

I have a .zip Folder called Sociology class.

Inside that Folder, each Chapter of the course is a .zip folder. 

Inside each Chapter folder, there are the following files:

.bb-package-info

categories.dat

imsmanifest (XML format)

itemcategories.dat

questions.dat

settings.dat

Does this help? 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Kramer -

I just tried uploading, according to your directions, using Chrome 44 and IE 11. 

During upload, I am getting a message:

error/cannotdeletemoduleinstance

In reply to John Kramer

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

OK well we have ascertained that it definitely is a SCORM package you need to upload. I am going to move this to the SCORM forum so you can get more specific help. I can't say why you are getting such an error message about not being able to delete a module instance when uploading but there are some SCORM error messages I'm not familiar with. 

EDIT.. also - I have found some SCORM issues with that error, and they suggest the actual building of the package might be incorrect. See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=269123#p1161741 for example. I wonder if each chapter should be uploaded separately as a separate (but still zipped) folder? Can you try just adding one of the chapters in the same way as before?