set number of points per quiz

set number of points per quiz

by Ellen B Cutler -
Number of replies: 7

Just discovered I am using Moodle 2.9. Also, as a technophobic newbie, I really appreciated suggestions written as simply and as jargon-free as possible. Thanks!

How do I set the number of points available on a quiz? I have set up some quizzes. Each has 4 multiple choice and 2 matching questions. I want everything to add up to 100 points. It seems like there should be a field for that but darned if I can find it.

Thanks for your help.  Ellen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ellen B Cutler

Re: set number of points per quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ellen B Cutler -

OMG, Tim, I would NEVER have figured that out on my own. And it took me a while to figure out how to get to that particular view. It makes NO sense tome to go to "edit quiz" and then to go over to the administration area and hit "edit quiz" again.

Thanks for the help. As it turns out, if you hadn't sorted this out for me, my quizzes would have been a mess because the solution I thought was right was wrong.

I don't hate Moodle, I really don't, but it is just so unfriendly and NOT intuitive...

Much appreciation, Ellen

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I guess the recently created issue MDL-51255 is about roughly the same thing. You need to know there are two things: the quiz settings, where you control various settings for the quiz like how many attempts are allowed, and then the Edit quiz page, where you build the quiz out of questions. Somehow, we need to make that obvious to new users. Suggestions welcome.

Now that you have found the Edit quiz page, is it reasonably intuitive? Any suggestions for improvement there? Thanks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think it would make more sense to have the total quiz grade in the Edit Settings page so it is consistent with all other activities.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ellen B Cutler -

Tim, for newbies like myself, what makes sense is to have everything in one place. If I am creating a quiz, for instance, I do two things. First I create questions. I have recommended to colleagues that questions be written and put directly into the quiz bank before trying to assemble the quiz.  Then, when I make the quiz, I wish everything I needed was there. And that would include an option for designating points.

For me, the edit functions should be almost optional. They are important, because after I create the quiz and preview it, I always discover things to tinker with. Even so, if I have been better prepared and my questions and answers are *perfect*, then I would not expect to go to edit at all. It's just an unexpected and illogical step.

Again, thanks for your help.

Ellen

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ellen, the good news is that there is a BIG push on usability with the people who create Moodle. The most recent version of the quiz has some lovely improvements in quiz building with drag and drop stuff.  At a recent Moot (a Moodle conference) they did some extensive usability testing. Quite a bit of the stuff they covered does not involve huge amounts of programming just tweaks to make it more intuitive. Moodle founder and grand fromage Martin Dougiamas emphasised the effort on usability in a recent speech and they have just advertised for a Usability Designer/Developer

https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=54&rid=7140

It will be a while before these things arrive in a new Moodle but it does auger well for the future.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Ellen B Cutler -

That's hopeful! I truly have no insight into how other folks interact with Moodle. What I know is that for me it is a HUGE improvement over Blackboard which I simply despised. At the same time, I use Moodle because my college chose it as the digital platform. I don't have a choice. I am an adjunct professor which means I earn pay only for what I teach--I get very frustrated because I spend so many uncompensated hours simply trying to figure out the mechanisms of the system we are obligated to use. I think Moodle has a lot of good features--logic, friendliness and simplicity are not among them. I hope that the team that will be put together spends time really thinking about who the users are--and just how many of them are not young, are not part of the digital generation, are overwhelmed by the demands put on them that have nothing to do with teaching their specialty and everything to do with systems they are forced to use that they are ill-equipped to use.

I appreciate your note!  Ellen