Install Moodle Docs Locally On Server

Install Moodle Docs Locally On Server

by Matthew Salkin -
Number of replies: 3

Hello Moodlers,

Want to install Moodle Docs on my local server so that the files are accessable via intranet and do not need to reach out to the internet. The only place I've seen a download for Moodle Docs is from http://wimski.org/docs/, which I've downloaded and placed the files on my server in the webroot directory. I went to Site Administration > Appearance > Moodle Docs and changed the location to point to my local direcotry with the Moodle Docs. I can access the files on my intranet if I manually type in the URL to the downloaded Moodle Docs. However, the links "Moodle Docs for this page" in Moodle do not work.

Can someone advise me on what I need to do to in order to get the Moodle Docs I've downloaded from wimski to work with the "Moodle Docs for this page" link at the bottom of Moodle web pages?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Salkin

Re: Install Moodle Docs Locally On Server

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The Moodle Docs page on Headers and Footers can offer some advice on how to do that. Be aware that the Wimski docs are not Wiki pages, so you have to ensure that the links are not looking for a Wiki, as the common MoodleDocs are. Also, the downloadable docs do not necessarily follow the same naming convention that the links on pages use. 

Generally, the Wimski docs are  good start but you really need to fill in a lot of blanks. I did this ages ago, and while it was a useful exercise for me, as the Admin, it wasn't really what was required, so never repeated it. The real challenge is to get the docs you want to access to be linked to the footer and there are so many links. I can't remember how it was done, but I was never convinced it was properly done or that there was sufficient docs in the Wimski docs to make the effort worthwhile. Also, as a thought, I understand a Front Page Wiki can be made accessible from the entire site, so is it possible to convert those docs to a Moodle Wiki and associate those with the page links similarly as a Glossary does? Maybe not... 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Matthew Salkin -

Colin,

Thank you for your quick response and for sharing the level of detail that you did. Do you recall which end you had to eidt when you did link Moodle Docs to the footer? Did you have to edit the "Moodle Docs for this page" pointer within the source code to account for the different Wimski directories? Or, did you modify the Wimski directories to match with the predefined pointers for "Moodle Docs for this page"

In reply to Matthew Salkin

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I seem to recall that I tried to get the footer link to match, but in the end, gave that up, there was too many or some were too obscure. Adding the *.htm suffix was not helping either. I couldn't find a generic place to just add it in on the end of the search string and did not have the PHP skills to sift the code to find it. I got it to semi work, but it was never a lot of good. Then lost it at the next upgrade. The only reason it was tried was to cut down on bandwidth usage, reducing costs, but it only had a marginal effect.  

I did want to spend the time to convert these Wimski pages to a Wiki, renaming them to suit the Moodle naming convention, but that never happened. 

I do recall though that in the end, I just asked around and found that all the users really wanted was tips and tricks on how they could do things, use tools, use blocks and plugins, so built a small help course on the Front Page that could be accessed without enrollment, or as guest or something. That ended up working much better for the users.       

EDIT: There were some instructions on the Wimski site or as a downloadable text file I think, but they were not that helpful I seem to recall. If you can find them, they may have improved. I may have found them elsewhere, but I am pretty sure I didn't write them as I was going.