Cron?

Cron?

by Sam M. -
Number of replies: 4

I used the one-click installer from Blue host. Does anyone know if it automatically sets up the cron to run, or do I have to do something with this? I don't understand what cron is or how to use it. Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam M.

Re: Cron?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Cron runs certain important processes in the background at fixed intervals. Stuff like sending forum emails and cleaning up deleted files. It's quite important. 

If you are using a one-click installer provided by a hosting company you should really ask them. These are not provided or supported by moodle.org. Somebody might be around here that knows but your host's support people should (!) know for certain. 

In reply to Sam M.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sam, usually one-click installers do add the cron task automatically, because BlueHost/HostMonster are using their own Mojo Market place, so assurance of adding automated cron task is limited therefore better check yourself the cron manager and see if some task pointing to URL of your moodle is there, if it isn't, lemme know I'll send you commands to add to run automated tasks.

for checking cron tasks, go into CPanel area, and you'll find icon of cron tasks/schedules etc, clicking that will open cron manager and see if something is listed there.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Sam M. -

Thank you for the help! I went into the cPanel and under "Current Cron Jobs" it says "none."