What permissions are needed to grant roles relative to a user?

What permissions are needed to grant roles relative to a user?

by Brad Smith -
Number of replies: 1

(Moodle 2.9)

In Define Roles -> Allow Role Assignments, I have a Supervisor role allowed to assign a Mentor role, which exists in the User context

When logged in as an admin, I can go to a user's profile page, click Preferences, and then Assign Roles Relative to this User, and assign a mentor to that user. 

However, when logged in as a supervisor, I don't get a Preferences link, and attempts to do directly to the preferences page result in an error. I can go directly to the the Assign Roles Relative to this User page, but that's only helpful if you already know the ID of the user you want. 

So it seems that in order to navigate to the Assign Roles... page, you have to be able to access the Preferences page, but having permission to assign roles doesn't automatically grant you it, and when I search for permissions that contain "preference" in the name, I don't see anything. 

What is the missing piece?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Smith

Re: What permissions are needed to grant roles relative to a user?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Admins can do this by default. Managers can also do it (maybe your Supervisor role is a renamed Manager role?) but there is a bug in that the link to do it hasn't been added to their Preferences page. If you tell them the direct URL they can get to it in the meantime. The tracker report is here: /MDL-50917