Upgrade causing enrolled users to lose grades

Upgrade causing enrolled users to lose grades

by Tom North -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

I've had an issue whereby I have migrated our Moodle application to a new Server 2012 box and tried to upgrade. I went from 1.9 to 2.2, then 2.2 to 2.9. On subsequent attempts I have also chucked a step to v2.0 in there. 

When I did this on TEST I had no problems at all. However for whatever reason in our PRD environment I am losing grade data for all users who self-enrolled across all courses. This didn't happen in TEST. 

The rest of the site works fine - I can access courses, self enroll,  and my scores are  kept. However, I need this historic data to be available to course owners. I have gone through the configuration to see what is different between test and production, but cannot spot anything. 

Has anyone had issues with this? I should note that when I initially migrate the site, the grades are all there. It is ONLY when I upgrade that these self-enrolled users drop out. They can still log in (we authenticate with LDAP plugin) but their old scores are gone. 

Migration was a pick up and move i.e. dump database, copy application and data folders over and configure web server. I am boggled on this. Any assistance would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tom N

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom North

Re: Upgrade causing enrolled users to lose grades

by Brian Lockwood -

This is the second time I have reported this problem today. You have a very mature install and I remember when going from 1.x to 2.x coming across database issues to do with the quiz system.

I remember going through comparing the databases from before and after and finding the issue after a lot of work. The details are in an old post of mine but I can't find it.

Two things worth trying if you can.

1) Get two students to try a quiz, one who is getting grades and one who isn't. Compare the sqldump files before and after and see where the grades are going.

I am sure that when I had quiz issues, the grades were going to the wrong place and I had to do a manual fix to a filed type in the database schema.

2) Try to use the CLI installer to do the upgrade. It may be that you get a helpful report of an issue during teh upgrade process that will guid you to the problem.

In reply to Brian Lockwood

Re: Upgrade causing enrolled users to lose grades

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Brian,

There are a couple of things you can do to make finding your own, or anyone elses posts a little easier. One is just to click on your own name in the header of a post. On the profile page that opens up, click on Forum Posts under Miscellaneous. It will list ALL the posts you have made. If there are too many, then on the same profile page click on Advanced Search under SEARCH FORUMS. Put the authors name in the last search field and use the other fields as appropriate to narrow the search and get what you are looking for.

HTH,

AL