Studnet's Can't Reply with Single Simple Discussion Grouped 2.6

Studnet's Can't Reply with Single Simple Discussion Grouped 2.6

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi. I'm struggling with Docs and I need some help!

I created a Single Simple Discussion Forum and immediately grouped it to "Q3" under Common Module Settings.

When I click save, I see my post. The top of the screen reads "All Participants" so I change that to the group "Q3"

I placed a student into that group. When student visits the forum, there is No reply button (unless I ungroup the forum). 

I dont see a way to automatically set the forum to the 'Q3' group (other than the Common Mondule Settings).

If I reply to my own post, I still can't send it to Q3 students:

Any Idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Studnet's Can't Reply with Single Simple Discussion Grouped 2.6

by Rob Johnson -

Hi John,

Edit your post and look for a pull down where you can change the group to Q3.  As the teacher, you need to post under a specific group if you expect them to be able to reply.  For multiple groups, you need to post under each one.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by John Provasnik -

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. The drop down is set to the group I want, Q3.

It's located directly above my initial post in the forum I created. I don't access it by editing the post.

When I click on 'edit' to edit the initial post, it brings me back to the Edit Settings for the forum and the only grouping option available there is the Common Module settings, which is already set to my Q3 group.

Once in a while, when I go back to this forum, it switches back to All Participants. At other times it remains at Q3. Eitherway, my students cannot see the reply button.

Any other suggestions?

by Rob Johnson -

As the teacher or admin, you will see a "Display period" section at the bottom of the screen when composing or editing the initial post in a discussion.  Expand that section, and a group selection drop=down will be there.  See image below.

forum group setting screenshot

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Johnson

by John Provasnik -

Hi again Rob,

So I don't seem to have that section on my Edit Settings page (which is where I arrive when I click Edit on my initial post). When I collapse my settings, this is what I have:

by Rob Johnson -
I should have paid more attention to your subject line about Single simple discussion.  If you look at the Moodle Docs, it looks like it won't work with separate groups.  My screen shot was from a general forum.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Johnson

[Solved] Re: Studnet's Can't Reply with Single Simple Discussion Grouped 2.6

by John Provasnik -

Thank you Rob -- I stopped reading when it said "New in 2.9" and didn't realize there was a footnote beneath.

For anyone else that may be following this thread, I copied the text below:

Single simple discussions cannot be set to separate groups (as this feature is not implemented). Instead, a standard forum should be used. If required, a permissions override may be set to prevent students from starting new discussions.

My problem with all the other forums is that none show the fully expanded discussions on the main page except for the Single Simple Discussion (for obvious reasons). But I will do as it suggests so I can use my groups.  Thanks for your prompt help : )