Moodle Mobile additional features web service - enabled or not?

Moodle Mobile additional features web service - enabled or not?

by Roland Sherwood -
Number of replies: 4

Hi. We're currently in the process of building a brand new Moodle 2.8 environment and I noticed that after installing the latest version of Moodle Moodle additional features plugin its associated web service is not enabled by default:

Is this normal? Looking at the service's settings page, it's definitely not enabled:

Sorry - just a a bit confused here and would appreciate some clarification. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roland Sherwood

Re: Moodle Mobile additional features web service - enabled or not?

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

it's not enabled by default since in order to make it work you need to do some additional steps, described here:

https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Moodle_Mobile_additional_features

1. Unpack the zip file into the local/ directory. A new directory will be created called local/mobile.

2. Go to Site administration > Notifications to complete the plugin installation.

3. Go to Site administration > Plugins > Web services > Mobile, enable "Enable web services for mobile devices" (Remember to save the changes)

4. Go to Site administration > Plugins > Web services > External services, edit "Moodle Mobile additional features" and check the "Enabled" field, then save changes.

5. Go to Site administration > Users >Permissions Define roles, edit the Authenticated user role and allow the capability moodle/webservice:createtoken.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I think part of what the OP was asking was, why does it not enable the mobile web services as part of the install.

My guess is that it plugin installer won't change other settings outside of the module its installing?

In reply to Dave Perry

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

we cannot enable it as part of the install because this will require us to change your system roles and that can be dangerous and intrusive.

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Roland Sherwood -

Thanks for the clarification Juan - much appreciated. I think I must have forgotten the additional steps required that I took when installing the plugin last year, hence my confusion this time around.